by Don Ames, www.detectenergy.com
I have been spreading the news about a home energy monitoring system called FIDO by EcoDog Energy Monitoring. This is part three of a three article series. You may be interested in backtracking a little and checking out part one, 13 strong points to EcoDog Monitoring, or part two, Home Power Monitor: More Facts on EcoDog.
1. EcoDog’s FIDO Home Energy Monitoring System oversees energy use throughout the home, on a room-by-room basis.
2. FIDO can handle 120 volt circuits and 240 volt circuits. This means your clothes dryer gets monitored too.
3. FIDO has a software interface that runs on your home computer where you analyze all the data.
4. Users can identify where they are using the most electricity and pro-actively make cost-saving changes.
5. FIDO can handle renewable energy retrofits like solar power.
6. Do-it-yourselfer's can install FIDO with a little help from the directions.
7. To get personal attention concerning FIDO and your home, complete EcoDog's short questionaire.
All around the country, distributers have signed up to handle the sale and installation of the monitor. They can answer all your questions and then get old FIDO working at it's best to help you evaluate how your homes electrical system is performing.
1. Energy use is displayed as an overlay on a floor plan of your home. As an example, look at the diagram of your home and right there in the family room you can see that something is using a lot of juice.
2, Input your power bill and FIDO will track the results of your energy saving efforts. As an example, you install a timer on the bathroom ceiling fan, is that saving energy and how much?
3. If you have solar or wind power, FIDO keeps track of how much electricity is being produced and how much this electrical generation contributes to reducing the amount of electricity you need to purchase.
4. Daily calculations on how much electricity is costing you based on your power companies time-of-use rates.
5. Displays when appliances, lighting or electronics are running excessively or at unexpected times.
6. Calculates your homes electrical needs and usage patterns and displays suggestions on how and where you can save energy.
1. It can tell you when your teenager gets up in the middle of the night and raids the refrigerator.
2. It can send you an email when your T.V. is turned on and the kids are home from school.
I want to thank Greg Anderson for providing the following information. Greg is the Northwest distributor for EcoDog and can be reached at email@example.com.
"As far as the 15 circuit home, that is a good number to start with. The boxes come in 16 circuit configurations, so one box would handle the house you are talking about.
You can expand the system up to 1024 circuits, but I have only heard of the biggest system somewhere in the 250 circuit range. Getting back to the point, the cost depends on if it is homeowner installed or if there is an electrician involved. In the state of Oregon, we have to hire an electrician to install the product, but homeowners can do it themselves and it is quite easy by following the instructions that come with it.
If the homeowner hired an electrician, they are looking at approximately an hour per box to install at the panel. It generally goes much quicker but depending on the shape of the panel wiring, labeling, etc. that is a pretty fair allowance. The software pretty much follows suit, the homeowner can do it themselves with the installation wizard (just like setting up a printer or other device) and there is only a small monotony of labeling the circuits. Again, I would allow an hour but generally goes much faster than that once it is started.
So back to price, that one box system to cover your 15 circuits would be $970 for the system only (retail and owner install) and up to $1200 or so for a full service install. I hope that helps! Let me know what else we can help you with, love to spread the word on this incredible product."
Thanks Greg, I appreciate the help you have provided Detect Energy in getting information out on this amazing home energy monitor.
And now, please join the founder of EcoDog as he talks about the development of his product and some of the great things it can do to help homeowners monitor their energy use, and, ultimately, save energy.
If the player does not start for you please follow this EcoDog link.
Thank you for stopping by Detect Energy, hope you will come back soon, but I won't leave the light on for you...