Attention Wrightsoft Users!

Have you ever completed a load calculation and it just seems like it was short of what you had expected?  Particularly when you are first starting out with a tool, contractors can make mistakes. After all, we tend to learn "the hard way", right?  In an effort to make software work, the companies tend to start with some default values that require adjustment.  For instance, most have the duct system in the conditioned space calculating zero gains or losses.  If the ducts were in the attic, this could be as much as a one ton load that is missed! Internal gains tend to start at zero, and the foreground for windows is something between crushed rock and green grass.  Most contractors find these values, over time and as they gain experience with the program.  One still overlooked setting in Wrightsoft, a feature that no other ACCA approved software employs, is the Rate Swing Multiplier (RSM).  This can cause you to lose as much as 11% of your sensible gains in an otherwise perfect load calculation, maybe more!

Read More

Views: 77

Replies to This Discussion

YES running loads is like rounding up kats.  You very big knobs like south windows, open return in attics, unsealed supply's of building,   I was at a new home 2 yr old  this week - she claims the 1560 sf 4 spit  75,000 BTU/hr 2.5 ton AC is not big to H/C home.  So I just ran a load and come up with 2/3 of that  but when I ran the blower door  a big -50 PA was 3020 CFM  this home did not get sealed between walls where the plumbing comes up.  The HVAC sheet steel installer got the wrap but I feel the low end builder got what he paid for.   Then HVAC contractor  just put in  a 3 ton and 100,000 BTU and now will bid just this over sized "system".

My point is You must test out.     I have used  Wrightsoft for 20+ yr  and I feel it over sizes 10-25% If you do not test out and redo the numbers.   One of my .goals is to beat the 1st load.   To test is find run time when the temp outside is at design temp - I look for 100%  run time with out the heater hitting high limit.    Gramps told me to size to -40  and I use now 0'.    Now you see that  systems get over sized 

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Tom Mallard replied to Hal Skinner's discussion Rooftop A/C units and exposed ductwork in the group Radiant Control Coatings
"Right, that reinforces my understanding of how it works, I was after what to plug in for values in…"
4 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion Rooftop A/C units and exposed ductwork in the group Radiant Control Coatings
"Products like these dont have an R-rating. You still have to have the R-rated insulation to meet…"
4 hours ago
Graham Irwin replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Thanks for the input. The next question to ask is "how much cooling power is delivered in each…"
5 hours ago
Brandon Walton commented on Brandon Walton's blog post 12 Things Every Home Performance Contractor Should Have on Their Work Truck
"Totally off topic William, but yeah could use a bit more I suppose "
5 hours ago
William H Nickerson commented on Brandon Walton's blog post 12 Things Every Home Performance Contractor Should Have on Their Work Truck
"One more thing...you need a little more bend in that cap"
6 hours ago
Tom Mallard replied to Hal Skinner's discussion Rooftop A/C units and exposed ductwork in the group Radiant Control Coatings
"Sounds like the perfect, thin insulator adding enough thermal inertia to separate two masses and/or…"
6 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion Rooftop A/C units and exposed ductwork in the group Radiant Control Coatings
"OK Tom, I think I am on the last questionow,,,I think.  LOL Going under the building and…"
8 hours ago
"Tom, sorry for having to break this up but my responses I guess are too long. You talking about the…"
8 hours ago
" "
10 hours ago
"I guess I got too mlong winded ther, it cut me off. 1.  Spray the coating on the ducts, plenum…"
10 hours ago
Kurt Shafer replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Jan, Here are some facts. the 30 inch fan from Home Depot (not one I would recommend) is rated at…"
10 hours ago
"Hi Tom. It looks like I will have to start off most of my answers to questions with this…"
11 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service