Greetings everyone,

I have a strange scenario to model and I was hoping I could get some advice: This used to be a whole building built on 1,920 so it is a balloon framing. The homeowner' s apartment is on the second floor, but the front door on the first floor has a little area with a little "receiving" table and that area is heated with a radiator. The basement ceiling has no insulation at all and because of the framing style, it brings a great deal of air into the 2 floor (proved by the blower door) 

The entire house is two floors plus attic, but I am modeling a little piece of the first floor, second floor, attic and basement... Any suggestions on how to do this?

Your comments are greatly appreciated,

Luis

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

Paul, Good Evening, John here, did you ever get an answer from anyone to this question?  I am fairly new to TREAT but I am willing to discuss this if it still matters to you?

John@jwlasso.co.uk

Boy, Luis, sorry to see this so late.

Curious what you did.  Our general approach would be to model only the surfaces in the apartment  that are adjacent to unconditioned space, so leaving off floors and walls that are adjacent to the neighboring apartments.

What approach did you use?

Ethan 

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Craig Savage commented on Home Energy Magazine's blog post A Day in the Life of Learning
"It's encouraging to see training in the HP area begin to recognize new approaches such as…"
23 minutes ago
Chris Petroskas commented on Michael Dunseith's photo
Thumbnail

WT*

"Sure, it is terrible for the pipe and the heating system in general BUT, it does look pretty cool! "
50 minutes ago
Profile IconDeanna Harger, Sheila Stewart, Gina M. and 1 more joined Home Energy Pros
1 hour ago
Everblue posted a blog post

The New BPI Accreditation Program

In 2010, the Building Performance Institute (BPI) offered a specialized contractor program called…See More
1 hour ago
Rob Madden, Solar Home Broker commented on Alicia Hobbs's blog post 5 Solar Facts that You Should Know
"From personal experience, that $20,000 savings over 20 years will be a low number based upon the…"
18 hours ago
Rob Madden, Solar Home Broker posted a blog post

Phoenix Solar Home Sales Jump in September

The number of solar home sales in Phoenix jumped 13.6 percent from the previous month, according to…See More
18 hours ago
Casey Gesell replied to Trip Smith's discussion Where to spend my marketing dollars?
"Trip, Check out our sister company Contractor Nation: https://www.contractornation.com/ Pay Only…"
20 hours ago
Casey Gesell posted a discussion

Looking for home improvement companies to join our dealer network!

My name is Casey Gesell and I'm the Business Development Manager at Dr. Energy Saver, Inc.Dr.…See More
20 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service