Is there any instructions out there for cleaning the camera lens? At my level one class, I was told how to do it and what to use (Kim Wipes I think) and also use some cleaner? It went so quick and I don't have any notes or "how to's".

I have a FLUKE Ti32. I have been doing inspections in attics with fiberglass and have some dust on the lens, or so it looks (could be microfibers of glass dust). Is there any advice or picture led instructions out there for this? I remember Greg saying something like a 100 wipes of the lens, or something before it is compromised?!. Big investment, so I am scared to touch it!

How many of you out there use a plastic bag around your camera? Any brand of plastic bag or wrap that works best?

Thanks.

Tags: IR, IR lens, cleaning, imager, thermal

Views: 205

Replies to This Discussion

Jamie,

Good question!   

Most of the time, there is very little need to actually actively "clean" the lenses of your infrared imager.

However, in the event lens cleaning is required, here is what I recommend for Fluke Thermal Imagers:

1)       Use a photography air bulb to gently blow debris or dust from the lens area.  (DO NOT USE compressed air, nitrogen, or carbon dioxide which may cause a temperature drop and "thermally shock" the lens.)

2)       If you do not have a photography air bulb, you can also use a photography lens brush or small artist's paintbrush to gently brush off the surface of the lens.

3)       If the lens is still not cleaned sufficiently, or there are fingerprints or residue present, you can clean the lens with the following procedure:

a.       Create a light soap solution with a few drops of a mild liquid soap (like dish soap) in a small container of warm water.

b.       Dampen a clean micro-fiber cloth in the solution.

c.       Gently wipe the surface of the lens with this cloth, but do not apply significant pressure.

d.       Allow to air dry or gently pat the surface of the lens with another, clean, but dry micro-fiber cloth

Keep in mind that you should very rarely need to clean lenses if the cameras are taken care of, and stored properly.   Dust particles will usually not cause any deterioration of image quality or performance.  Fingerprints also do not cause major issues because they are not in the focal plane of the target objects.  However, fingerprints contain oils, which if left on the surface of the lens, can cause the special coatings to deteriorate.   If the coating deteriorates or is significantly scratched, there will eventually be deterioration in performance.

DO NOT use any kind of solvents or commercial cleaners to clean your lenses, (No acetone, alcohol, ammonia, benzene, etc.) as these could damage both the coating and the sealants in the lens assembly.  

DO NOT immerse the camera or lenses in any liquids, as they are not waterproof, only moisture resistant per the IP54 testing standards.

DO NOT use dirty or heavy rags to clean the lenses, as these can result in scratching.

The cases and holsters can be carefully cleaned with light soapy solution and a standard, damp cleaning cloth of some type.... Just like Fluke's other meters.

I hope that this helps!

Regards,

Michael

Michael D. Stuart
Sr. Product Marketing Manager
Thermal Imaging Products
Fluke Corporation

Thermal / Infrared Thermography, Level III
Certified in compliance with ASNT Standards 

It is, as you suggest, simpler to keep the lens clean in the first place. Any thin-film bag that is highly transparent to infrared radiation works well. If it is also visually transparent, like a dry cleaner bag, then you can wrap your whole  imager and still see the view screen. Test for transparency by looking at something like a wall with and without the bag—go for a bag with the least change in image or temperature involved.
Thermally yours,

John Snell

The Snell Group

www.thesnellgroup.com

www.IRTalk.com

Thanks for the great responses.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"Rcc sprayed onm the entire undercarriage of a single wide mobile home.  Aldo sprayed on the…"
30 minutes ago
Profile IconMarc and Darren Clayton joined Home Energy Pros
7 hours ago
Tom White posted a video
12 hours ago
Darren Clayton posted a status
"I like having a place where I can learn & refer the public to if I don't have the answer !"
12 hours ago
Tom DelConte replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
"Google it"
13 hours ago
Benjamin Gromicko's 2 events were featured
15 hours ago
Energy Center University posted an event

Better Buildings: Better Business Conferences at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel & Conference Center and Kalahari Resort and Convention Center

February 26, 2015 to March 13, 2015
Better Buildings: Better Business ConferencesFebruary 26−27, 2015 │ Rosemont, ILMarch 11−13, 2015 │…See More
yesterday
Kris Grube added a discussion to the group Job Board
Thumbnail

Good Energy Retrofit, Portland, Or. Hiring Home Performance Salesperson.

Good Energy Retrofit is a small and focused, woman owned and operated, specialty residential…See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service