Since there has been a lot of buzz surrounding hydronics radiant floors, many question has been brought about regarding how to model this type of system in Energy Pro 5 as an alternative. Energy Pro does not give us a straight forward option when modeling this improvement. This is what some associates and myself have agreed upon.
- Radiant floor systems are fueled by either a boiler or water heater (stand alone/ tankless).
- This is essentially our HVAC system, which you will note in energy pro as a “split dx” gas furnace.
- Set the Furnace efficiency and output = to that of your radiant floor heating source (new or existing) water heater recovery efficiency or boiler AFUE.
- Set the Duct leakage to 0%.
- If adding you are adding a new water heater be sure to add that into the alternatives, if you are using a boiler do not add this into the DHW alternatives just add it into the HVAC alternatives. If using the existing system do not add this into the new DHW alternatives.
Hydronic Air handlers are modeled the same way, but you now have duct leakage to model.
I am interested to hear how some of you have modeled this type of system.