To assist one another and to increase chances of drawing more site members to this group, let's build a thread of personal statements regarding consideration of permaculture.  Members of this group may be giving permaculture a quiet look from a distance or may be into/making waves with it.

Where are you on that continuum?

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

I have incorporated permaculture into my personal life, and have my eyes open for ways of incorporating it into my professional life.  We have landscaped our little lot in St. Paul using permaculture principles.  I have to say that there are few things more rewarding than having your own fruit trees and bushes to feast on through the summer, and the native perennials in our yard are gorgeous year round.  We haven't completely eliminated the grass from our yard, but in a few years I expect to not have to mow our lawn anymore, which I'm really excited for.

It makes me sad to see that in the 2 years this forum has been open, there has been one post and 6 views. If we were discussing the energy value of a fart in the wind, there would be this much activity in 10 minutes! We love to discuss the insides of the homes we look at, but why do we not evaluate the outsides as well?

Every dollar we spend is ultimately spent on energy. Our food, our clothes, our comforts, they are all embodiments of energy already spent. We can not say that we are saving energy if we only change the way we receive the energy.

Our goal as energy auditors, consultants and scientists is to reduce the amount of energy our society uses while maintaining or improving comfort and happiness.

The permaculture philosophy of closing every loop and creating forested gardens is idyllic, but not unattainable.

Here are a couple of photos of my own house. It is still cold here but we are still eating from our garden. My 1/2 acre lot has 27 fruit and nut trees, more than 100 berry bush and vines, chickens and large garden. The trees and shrubs also provide cooling to the structure and maintain more consistent exterior temps. All water from the roof is channeled by swales on the surface or by french drain sub-surface drainage pipe.

I am also a Building Analyst and my wife and I have retrofitted the 100 year old adobe house for maximum energy efficiency. We have not closed every loop, we are not even close, but I think this much is a start that nearly every person reading this could make.

Attachments:

Thank you, Bill, for concern, commitment and images!

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Profile IconEthan Bukowiec and Andy Li joined Home Energy Pros
19 minutes ago
Bob Blanchette replied to w d's discussion Managing Solar Energy
"Look into passive solar heating. The south windows have enough overhang that the windows are shaded…"
13 hours ago
Steve Waclo commented on Kaplan Clean Tech's blog post The Difference Between Home Inspection and Energy Auditing [Infographic]
"Excellent graphic summary but I don't agree Home Inspectors also check energy use. I believe…"
yesterday
Steve Waclo replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Low-cost electricity monitoring: Accuracy & Applications in the group 1000 Home Challenge
""The problem with plug in energy testers is they miss most of a typical homes energy use. 240v…"
yesterday
w d posted a discussion

Managing Solar Energy

What's the state of the art on managing solar energy (esp. at the home)?There's surely no…See More
yesterday
Bud Poll posted a discussion

Inconsistant Local Authotity

It becomes frustrating to give people modern advice and then have to backtrack and tell them to do…See More
yesterday
Morgan Hunter replied to Isaiah Borel's discussion Blown Cellulose VS Blown Fiberglass in the Attic
"Up here In Canada Fibreglass wins hands down for heat loss! Check back 5, 10 & 20 years later…"
yesterday
Bob Blanchette replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Low-cost electricity monitoring: Accuracy & Applications in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"The problem with plug in energy testers is they miss most of a typical homes energy use. 240v…"
Saturday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service