The infrared image below (left) was taken by Jerritt Gluck of Bonded Building & Engineering. The concrete slab (right) had recently been drilled by a steel contractor, after which the following occurred. What is wrong with this picture, and what's the solution? What steps should the contractor and installation crew have taken to avoid this?

Tags: BPI, Chump, July, Stump, the

Views: 274

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like a hot water leak to me. Best to use that IR camera before you drill!

I agree with Issac but I will add that it may also be a steam line penetration. Were these photos taken in NYC?

Hard to tell, house or commercial wold be good information - looks like a narrow band of warm ending in a large area of warm.  Follow the narrow band back towards you to see what pipe disappears into the slab.  Find the other end of that narrow warm going away from you to see where that end goes.  Is it a sewer that was punctured and they just took a hot bath?  Is it a DHW line that was punctured and is now leaking?  And that steam idea ain't bad in the right setting.  

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Rick Wertheim joined Kyle Brown's group
Thumbnail

Wrightsoft - Manual J / Manual D

If you use Wrightsoft to calculate loads or design ducts, you likely have questions.  Get answers…See More
30 minutes ago
Rick Wertheim joined Leslie McDowell, BPI's group
Thumbnail

Building Performance Institute (BPI)

BPI is the nation's premier standards development, quality assurance and credentialing organization…See More
31 minutes ago
Casey Gesell posted a video

How Dr. Energy Saver Helped Me Grow My Home Services Business | Dealer Testimonials

http://www.drenergysaverdealerships.com | 1-877-479-3637 Real Dr. Energy Saver dealers explain how the proven marketing, sales and training programs allowed ...
1 hour ago
Casey Gesell commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

Ducts in an Attic

"Hi Tom, Thank you for sharing our Dr. Energy Saver video!"
1 hour ago
Diane Chojnowski posted a discussion

EEBA 2014 Conference Presentations

EEBA has posted many of the presentations from their conference in St. Louis last week. Check them…See More
2 hours ago
Profile IconJames Tucker, Dean Brewer and CPB Mechanical joined Home Energy Pros
2 hours ago
Tom White posted a video

Ducts in an Attic

http://www.drenergysaver.com | 1-888-225-6260 In episode 66 of the On the Job video series, Larry Janesky, owner and founder of Dr. Energy Saver, is back to ...
17 hours ago
Stacy Hunt posted events
21 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service