Client is complaining that their bonus room above their garage is always hot during summer and cold during winter. They feel there in no insulation in the garage ceiling.They have a huge south facing dbl pane metal window and 3 small windows facing west. They do not want to change out the windows.

I checked and there is insulation in the garage ceiling but not in the garage walls.  The water heater is in the garage and they also have vents in the walls for make up air. There is some issue about the amount of airflow to that room, which we can fix. Do you have other ideas to fix this problem. Thanks for the advice.

Judi SHE BUILDS "GREEN"

Views: 42

Replies to This Discussion

Insulation may not be the issue here, but check the kneewalls for plywood or rigid foam board on the backside of the wall and if it is air sealed. (foam and/or tape at the seams.

From past experience & without seeing the house I would guess that this room is the furthermost from the HVAC unit and you are not getting adequate CFM out of the supply to this point.

If the garage is not conditioned then this is also an issue.

Measure the air flow at different delivery registers in the home along with the temp difference.

There are booster fans on the market that can be placed at the problem registers to help alleviate this problem.

Air seal duct system if excisable will boost cfm/btu's. Caution with booster fans that sit on registers I've done flow hood testing and have seen a reduction in cfm's not including wasted energy/money

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Michael Dunseith posted a photo

http://www.prattcenter.net/energy-champions-launch-party

Senator Kevin Parker poses with Pratt Center's Green Jobs Green New York Project Coordinator Elana…
54 minutes ago
Michael Dunseith posted a status
55 minutes ago
Rob Madden, Solar Home Broker posted a blog post

Phoenix 3rd Quarter Solar Resale Statistics Continue to Impress

Phoenix solar home sales were up during the third quarter of 2014, including the resale of homes…See More
17 hours ago
Everblue posted a status
"Green job alert! Energy Auditor in Baltimore, MD with Advanced Green Home Solutions. Check it out: http://bit.ly/1xhQuXO"
18 hours ago
Chris Clay replied to Isaiah Borel's discussion Blown Cellulose VS Blown Fiberglass in the Attic
"The Cold Climate Housing Research Center in Fairbanks, AK has alot of information about this…"
19 hours ago
Richard L. Sanderson replied to Bud Poll's discussion Inconsistant Local Authority
"Bud: I like the idea of a third party review board. My own experience in local government is that…"
yesterday
Matthew Lutz commented on Kaplan Clean Tech's blog post The Difference Between Home Inspection and Energy Auditing [Infographic]
"I would have to agree with Steve on this.  I am a Certified Energy Manager and have performed…"
yesterday
Matthew Lutz joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Hall of Shame

In this group, members share an array of images from the field, showing the kinds of issues…See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service