ACI was an interesting conference with a lot of great vendors exhibiting, but one had me stumped. The company was called ShowerStart & they have a product where you turn on the water & as soon as it hits 95 its slows the flow to a trickle. Once you hop in, you pull the lanyard & essentially you have hot water & saved a bunch that would have gone down the drain.

Personally I like recirculating systems & consider water the next big thing to watch (which for some parts of the country it already is) but would love to hear your thoughts - is it something you would recommend / even use yourself or just a gimmick?

For links & more

Views: 354

Replies to This Discussion

Jim - The last iteration of the chilipepper is what you have heard about. It has been reengineered and is no longer loud and has longer lifespan. I dont know how you can think it is difficult to install. All you do is disconnect the two shut offs and put it between the two. The hardest thing is access to an electrical outlet which may have to be installed if not present, which is the same as the metlund product. Chilipepper was actually created by the guy who originally designed the Metlund system. It is actually on the order of three to four times more powerful which moves the hot water faster. Its also about 4 times less expensive as the metlund and can be self installed by anyone that has any home improvement know how. I'm not affiliated at all, I have just researched this topic extensively and have experience with both. I dont like paying 4 times the amount for a product that does the same thing. The metlund could very well have the durability edge but even if the warranty didnt cover your issue, you could buy 4 more of them!

Thanks for the re-iterations. Early in 2011 a friend, also an energy auditor, slipped a chilipepper into her plumbing. And OH what a relief!

Water bills dropped; kids love it. Even the noisy iterations had value -You KNOW when it's done and the water is hot and waiting because the racket stops! Kids LIKE that. Like when the doggie stops barking, we wag into the shower.

Happy campers are made of this.

One of the obvious problems with the device... is the use on installations in which the owner has previously installed thermostatic valves in the showers.  I use Grohe's thermal (Grotherm) controls.  We generally set the temperature at about 85F and that's where the water stays...  No value in the kit above.   For long runs using a chilipepper using either a dedicated return or the cold water return - works great.   I trigger my chilipepper when any of the bathroom light switches are turned on.  The recirc pump is located near the cluster of bathrooms.   Very little waste water and the shower temps are extremely stable.

Interesting side note... since I'm used to taking cooler showers - that seems to have caused some problems in a few of the German hotels that we've stayed at.  Most of the 3+ star hotels also use thermal controls for the showers.. and I'd set the show temp at about 25C-30C.  Two days in a row we had maintenance people coming up with immersion thermocouple probes and meters to verify the correct observation of the shower... because the cleaning staff noticed the temp was set at 25C instead of the higher temps that many of the Europeans like...  :-)

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner commented on Hal Skinner's group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
"Kurt, check your emails.  Sent you a friend request you need to confirm then I can send you a…"
2 hours ago
Kevin Jordan replied to Kevin Jordan's discussion Does anyone have pointers on approaching real estate induatry.
"thank you sir!! If you have any other tips Id appreciate. I am new in this industry and I go and…"
2 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
"Hi Kurt, You mentioned "On a RESNET discussion some insulation experts agreed that insulation…"
3 hours ago
Kurt Shafer commented on Hal Skinner's group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
"Wow, I am very sad to hear about your eyes.  Would have been super to do that comparison. Good…"
3 hours ago
Hal Skinner commented on Hal Skinner's group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
"My dads house has an attached garage.  It was converted to living space around 20 years…"
4 hours ago
Kurt Shafer commented on Hal Skinner's group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
"Hal, do I see a terrific chance for you to show us all the power of your RCC? Your father's…"
4 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Kevin Jordan's discussion Does anyone have pointers on approaching real estate induatry.
"Kevin, Several years ago I worked closely with a general contractor and a real estate…"
5 hours ago
"That same RCC, used as paint on the ceiling of living space, will do the same as if it was applied…"
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service