Wood burning fireplace on 13 year old home in Wisconsin. Exterior wall with cantilevered chase. During blower door test I found noticeable air leakage to the inside from above the metal firebox. Would naturally suspect air leakage from the top and back of the chase. However, there are 2 air intakes on the chase - one is for outside air to the firebox as expected. The other one seems to be just an open vent to the chase. Outside air was freely entering the 2nd vent and into the home while building was depressurized.

Anyone know what this vent is for, and does it need to be there?

I don't have a picture, but the two exterior vents were side by side. Sorry too that I don't know the make of the fireplace. They have no complaints with the fireplace area, but I'd like to know.

Thanks,

John

Views: 1155

Replies to This Discussion

I imagine is pretty hard to tell much without the brand and its installation instructions to know what was required for that particulare fireplace model; not all fireplaces are built nor installed the same. It'll be interested to know how well sealed and insulated were the cantilever and chase before installing the firebox.

Does this home has a second direct vent fireplace between the 2 side windows? 

That is correct Armando.

I'm sure we won't be doing anything intrusive with regard to the chase, but I'd like to know if we could seal off the vent, as that was certainly a pathway for outside air to enter into the home.

Yes. Its correct.

John:  The chase is unlikely to have been treated as "conditioned" space by the builder.  If it is not air sealed it performs basically like a small garage with a fireplace instead of a car in it. 

Current code requires an air barrier in the fireplace chase, but I have never succeeded in retrofitting a chase like the one shown in your picture.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Thanks Chie! We have this event in our calender."
7 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Alice; I tried sending you an e-mail but the message bounced. Can you kindly verify your e-mail…"
7 hours ago
Chie Kawahara replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Kaushal, Thousand Home Challenge is a wonderful forum and the resource collection is…"
7 hours ago
Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, While it's true I did some of the finish work myself, I also acted as my own…"
9 hours ago
"Thank you Linda for your response; and your generosity in sharing your suggestion and hope. I…"
10 hours ago
"Wow...thank you so much for your response Alice! I really appreciate it. It is simply amazing all…"
10 hours ago
Tom White's 3 videos were featured
10 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured
10 hours ago
Sharon Block's 3 events were featured
10 hours ago
Tom White posted videos
10 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Kaushal I just spent more than an hour on a detailed response and lost when I decided to check the…"
11 hours ago
Sharon Block posted events
11 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service