Winter condensation on windows in a house that is very well insulated.

This is my first post and I hope I have the formate correct, I live and build in central Pennsylvania. I built a house in 2004 using what I thought were the best practices at the time to insure it was tight and very well insulated. Took great pains to properly vent all bathrooms, dryer and range. I used Tyvek house wrap and a 6 mill vapor barrier on walls and ceiling. Used a pre-fab basement wall system that creates a very dry basement. Customer works for a propane gas co. and had a high efficiency gas hot air system installed.  They are having a very hard time with condensation on their windows in the winter. They are very unhappy with me because they feel the house is to tight and I should remove the plastic vapor barrier.  The only thing I changed was using Crestline windows instead of Anderson.                              As a side note I built 6 new homes using all of the same building techniques in my area and had none of these problems. We have discussed the use of exhaust fans allot and they assure me they use them. It is just Mom, Dad and a teenage girl so not an excessive amount water usage.     What should the RH be in the winter and should I just buy them a de-humidifier.  Oh, Yea they do have a heat recovery system they use when the temp reaches 50 degrees. Any help would be welcome.

Views: 10967

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If reducing indoor RH has "ameliorated the moisture problem", then the problem is far more likely to have been excess indoor humidity than the window units. Poor installation, without air-sealing the perimeter, is more likely to cause condensation and icing problems than the actual window unit, since it's next to impossible to reach freezing indoor conditions unless there is outside air leakage.

Robert.  I suspect you are correct.  Is there anything I can do to remedy "air sealing the perimeter," in a completed home?

Assuming that the windows were installed square so that the sash close tightly and the weatherstripping is intact, you can remove inside window trim (casing and sill apron) on all four sides and inject low-expansion window/door foam.

If you're sealing a lot of windows, it's worth buying a foam gun and canisters, which offer far more control and don't have to be completely emptied after each use.

we have reduced utilization of our gas logs.

Ventless logs?  There's the moisture source.  

Eric, if you spend $1000 sealing windows and nothing changes, how will you feel?  

Would you go on a diet without first stepping on a scale?  

The first step is a comprehensive assessment of your home.  This needs to include at the very least a blower door leakage measurement, which should be done BEFORE ANY work is done.   You need to know where you started to understand how well your diet went.  And the blower door will help you understand if it's your windows, baseboards, rim joist, or attic penetrations that should have first, second... priority.  

Understand what illnesses you have before running off half cocked fixing things that may not be broken and missing things that are.   Good luck!

You're responding to Robert Hamilton's recent query, not the OP Eric Fletcher.

Robert knows what his problem is - too much indoor humidity and condensation and icing on his windows. He has already substantially corrected the humidity problem and wants a solution to the window problem.

For that, he doesn't need a full energy audit and blower door test and since it's a focused problem with a focused solution.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"I had a revelation while attending Bruce Manclark's session of duct leak testing at the Energy…"
10 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"Blower Door; the 2007 test was a depressurization test, and the 2014 a pressurization test, which…"
10 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Plan, plan, plan, plan. The 1st step to is to understand the house, how it's built, the…"
10 hours ago
George J. Nesbitt posted an event

High Performance Windows - A Panel of Experts at Pyramid Alehouse`

April 26, 2014 from 3pm to 5pm
Join a lively panel discussion on high performance windows. We'll cover some basics, as well as…See More
11 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi David, Thanks for pointing out Martin Holiday's article. I do not wish to engage in the…"
11 hours ago
Profile IconAdam Penberthy, Scot Davidson and j jarvella joined Home Energy Pros
12 hours ago
David Eakin replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"More food for thought on this subject - read this (fairly) recent blog by one of the most respected…"
17 hours ago
Curt Kinder commented on Christopher Morin's blog post 5 Things New Energy Efficiency HVAC Contractors Need to Know
"You left out air distribution...Without at least a passing glance at how much air moves through the…"
23 hours ago
David Eakin replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"I mis-spoke - I was referring to the Midori House in Santa Cruz. Have an in-depth discussion with…"
yesterday
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi David & Bud, $400/sqf > $300 sqf. The latter is the minimum cost of new construction in…"
yesterday
"Kaushal, There was a deep energy retrofit upgrade project (to Passive House standards) in San Jose…"
yesterday
Kim Tanner updated an event

Beyond Residential Testing at The Energy Conservatory

May 14, 2014 to May 16, 2014
The Energy Conservatory (TEC) is hosting a Beyond Residential Testing event. In addition we are…See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service