Anyone ever hear of a window, or unit of insulated glass, as having different winter and summer U values? 

This wasn't on an NFRC sticker.  It was on a glass manufacturer's spec sheet. 

They listed it like this:

Winter - Air / Argon  0.35 / 0.31

Summer - Air / Argon 0.32 / 0.28

Our program requires a U value of 0.30 to receive an incentive rebate.  So obviously, homeowners and contractors want to average the summer and winter Argon fill U values to come up with an average of 0.295 and call it good.

I think it is just a piece of insulated glass that they want to have installed/retrofitted into their existing wood windows, and get an incentive for that. 

Views: 1886

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The winter U-value is what is shown on the NFRC labels, and should be used for code compliance and incentive programs. It is calculated at -18C (about 0F) outside, and 21 C (about 70F), and a roughly 15 mph wind speed. The summer U-value is calculated with conditions where it is warm outside and hardly any wind. This means that the U-value will be a bit better, but it is not a representative condition for heat losss. The Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) is more important during periods with solar gain. So think U-value for heating, and SHGC for cooling.

Christian
WIndows and Daylighting Group
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Adam:

Currently in communication with this gentleman:

Andre Anders, PhD
Leader, Plasma Applications Group
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road, MS 53, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Tel. 510-486-6745, Fax 510-486-4374

He's circulating the information among his associates and will be in touch following the holiday. Will probably find it's way Christian at LBNL, who has responded since last I checked in.

BTW, Christian's advice to use the winter number is probably not what you wanted to hear regarding the available incentive. If 0.30 U is a common cut off # for incentives, I would expect manufacturers to work to that figure, although in a manufacturing environment, such changes may be a challenge. Perhaps a bit of latitude from incentive providers is in order...who is going to notice a U difference of 0.01 ?

Thanks for surfacing this mystery.
Steve, Adam,

Andre forwarded your question to me, that is why I responded here. Many manufacturers have products that meet U=0.30, since that was the cut-off for the IRS tax credit.

If you are looking for even better windows, you can take a look at this website, where you can find listing of manufacturers that meet U=0.22 and less.
http://www.windowsvolumepurchase.org/

Christian
Thank you for the replies! Our program does require NFRC stickers, so this guy is going to be out of luck anyways.

But I was curious about the different winter and summer U values anyways. Thanks for the response and clairificaiton!

Adam

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Tom White posted a video
30 minutes ago
Darren Clayton posted a status
"I like having a place where I can learn & refer the public to if I don't have the answer !"
55 minutes ago
Tom DelConte replied to Kurt Shafer's discussion Where can I find the best radiant barrier to install under my roof?
"Google it"
1 hour ago
Benjamin Gromicko's 2 events were featured
3 hours ago
Profile IconDarren Clayton, Sharon DeRidder, Jason Hiep and 3 more joined Home Energy Pros
3 hours ago
Energy Center University posted an event

Better Buildings: Better Business Conferences at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel & Conference Center and Kalahari Resort and Convention Center

February 26, 2015 to March 13, 2015
Better Buildings: Better Business ConferencesFebruary 26−27, 2015 │ Rosemont, ILMarch 11−13, 2015 │…See More
19 hours ago
Kris Grube added a discussion to the group Job Board
Thumbnail

Good Energy Retrofit, Portland, Or. Hiring Home Performance Salesperson.

Good Energy Retrofit is a small and focused, woman owned and operated, specialty residential…See More
23 hours ago
Benjamin Gromicko posted events
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service