Will it ever be against the law to install a window that reflects sunlight?

Woman Claims Neighbor’s Energy Efficient Windows Are Melting Her Toyota Prius

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/01/25/woman-claims-neighbors-en...

CBS news article about too reflective windows.

Is anything in development to keep reflective properties without this result?

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem is not per se the reflective or low-e coating but a combination of cheap thin glass coupled with the location. Thicker glass will help prevent the glass from becoming concave and acting as a magnifying glass. This issue can also be exacerbated by the location but with the thicker glass that generally mitigates it unless you want to talk about the Las Vegas death ray.

LOL, that's funny,  I guess that would make covering my house with a radiant barrier a bad decision.  Actually, her solution might be something similar as I often see cars covered to reduce the dirt accumulation (I assume), so simply make that cover a bit reflective and someone else gets the sun.

As for 120°, that's not hot.  I've played with the old adage, "you can cook an egg on a hot rock" and you can.  Back in the old days when one could actually sit on the hood of a car, you would never try on a blazing hot day.  As for the plastic melting, I would think the mfg would have taken that into account.  My kids toys never melted so maybe there is a message there.

Bud

There are many cases of low-e windows apparently melting vinyl siding on neighboring houses. As Sean says, part of the issue seems to be glass thickness and lites that are concave. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/window-refle...

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Profile IconWes Anderson, Jean-Paul and Bryan joined Home Energy Pros
11 hours ago
Dennis Heidner commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting 24-month update 18,240 hours & counting
"Dale, good write up. For the landscaping bulbs,  if they had been T3 12V wedge bulbs,  I…"
yesterday
Brett Little commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

The Future of Housing - And How Airtightness Can Help

"It's very true! So many people and contractors have tons of insulated attics but no air seal…"
yesterday
Chris Leach replied to Richard Beyer's discussion "The Dangers of Using Spray Foam Insulation"
"The problems will surface soon enough . Why don't we take a second look at this over rated…"
yesterday
Don Fitchett commented on Tom White's video
yesterday
tedkidd replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion How does Cycles Per Hour affect real world AFUE?
"Want to spot a simpleton? It's a guy who thinks EE and comfort are disconnected.  Want…"
yesterday
tedkidd commented on Tom White's blog post Clean Energy Works Oregon: Total Home Performance
"Nice post Tom! I really like how he puts that. Leveraging interests so they can optimize…"
yesterday
Kent Mitchell commented on Tom White's blog post Clean Energy Works Oregon: Total Home Performance
"As a contractor in the region - we frequently wonder how/why you can be a non-profit?  Oregon…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service