Will it ever be against the law to install a window that reflects sunlight?

Woman Claims Neighbor’s Energy Efficient Windows Are Melting Her Toyota Prius

CBS news article about too reflective windows.

Is anything in development to keep reflective properties without this result?

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem is not per se the reflective or low-e coating but a combination of cheap thin glass coupled with the location. Thicker glass will help prevent the glass from becoming concave and acting as a magnifying glass. This issue can also be exacerbated by the location but with the thicker glass that generally mitigates it unless you want to talk about the Las Vegas death ray.

LOL, that's funny,  I guess that would make covering my house with a radiant barrier a bad decision.  Actually, her solution might be something similar as I often see cars covered to reduce the dirt accumulation (I assume), so simply make that cover a bit reflective and someone else gets the sun.

As for 120°, that's not hot.  I've played with the old adage, "you can cook an egg on a hot rock" and you can.  Back in the old days when one could actually sit on the hood of a car, you would never try on a blazing hot day.  As for the plastic melting, I would think the mfg would have taken that into account.  My kids toys never melted so maybe there is a message there.

There are many cases of low-e windows apparently melting vinyl siding on neighboring houses. As Sean says, part of the issue seems to be glass thickness and lites that are concave. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/window-refle...

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.  Home Energy Pros is sponsored by the Better Buildings Residential Network.

Latest Activity

Robyn Smith replied to Chris Woods's discussion Looking to purchase Minneapolis Blower door system- Model 3 with DG-700 in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Hi Chris, I replied to you via email yesterday. I have what you are looking for!! Minneapolis…"
7 hours ago
Profile IconJohn Gillis, William C Gilbert, Brian Breckin and 4 more joined Home Energy Pros
10 hours ago
Paul Scheckel posted a blog post

Energy Ambassadors: Cuba and Vermont

Last winter i had the pleasure of hosting a Cuban colleague for a week in Vermont. We toured the…See More
12 hours ago
Linda Wigington commented on David Eggleton's group 1000 Home Challenge
"Two more projects have recently been approved as 1000 Home CHallenge candidates. We welcome Eric…"
Colin Genge posted events
Craig McManus replied to Timothy Renz's discussion Vinyl batt to metal frame ware house
"How can I air seal a metal building in the south to keep out humid air which is causing mold? Will…"
Tom White posted a video
Profile IconJeshurun and Chris Woods joined allen p tanner's group

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More

© 2015   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service