I'm shopping around for LED lights and want to know about your experience if you bought LED lights before.

1. Where did you buy them and why?
  2. Did price have much to do about your decision?
  3. Do you have any tips after going through the whole process?
  4. If you're Canadian, I'd like to know too!

Thanks for your help energy pros!

Tags: buying, guide, help, led, tips

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the US, www.dsireusa.org is a good resource on energy efficiency incentives.

I went to bulbs.com and bought lighting science 8 watt MR16s for my kitchen track lights. A lighting salesman told me to buy lighting science after I told him I wanted the highest CRI available in a MR16 LED. He told me that a museum in San Francisco replaced their 50 watt halogens with these lamps and no one noticed! That is huge!

My lovely wife and  I are thrilled with the light the 25 degree 3000K light provide our kitchen. It looks fantastic, I am really happy and am in the process of changing out all our track lights with these Lighting Science MR16 LEDs. 

http://www.ase.org/resources/buying-best-bulb-energy-efficient-ligh...

This is one of the better  video clips

Eric Kjelshus Energy HVAC

I would like to talk about price. When we switch to LED bulbs, we didn't expect to save much cash. Its better if we think it as an investment, so don't let price affect your decision.

LEDinovation - All america made, most efficient, warranty, dimmable, good color rendition and all around nice looking 

I took the plunge in stages between November and May and have installed approximately 70 Cree LED lamps, mostly 60 Watt equivalents, but a fair proportion of 40s and a few 75s. The initial batch came from HD, but subsequent batches came from various E-Bay sellers markedly les expensive than HD...prices have dropped to about $7 per bulb for 40s and 60s.

All are 2700K

Electricity usage has fallen 2-3 kwh / day, not much, but the Crees replaced a passel of CFLs, so I only picked up about 5 Watts per lamp. The best feature of the Crees over CFLs is instant full brightness.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Thanks Nate for more good stuff to chew on—and nutritional! We may be running out to Home…"
5 hours ago
Tom Conlon commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Jim,I just got around to re-reading your four-part series and I think this is a really interesting…"
6 hours ago
Nate Adams commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"$50 in health ain't much... not with my crappy high deductible plan. It buys half of a cold…"
6 hours ago
tedkidd commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Yep, this thread has some good discussion. Back to dehumidification.  This may be…"
10 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Thanks for the clarification Nate. If I had the ability to precisely measure what $50 of health…"
11 hours ago
Nate Adams commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Jim, Just a clarification, it's not DEhumidification I'm worried about in your climate,…"
11 hours ago
Chris McTaggart posted events
11 hours ago
"Hi Nate, I'm glad this post has generated so much good discussion, since that is its main…"
12 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski's group was featured
Thumbnail

Facebook Pages

Does your company or organization have a Facebook Page?This group is for pros who have facebook…See More
12 hours ago
Tom White joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Facebook Pages

Does your company or organization have a Facebook Page?This group is for pros who have facebook…See More
12 hours ago
David Valley's photo was featured

ceiling_infrared

Cold air infiltrating the lower right portion of this wall and ceiling.
12 hours ago
Christopher Morin's 2 blog posts were featured
12 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service