What were R-value requirements of various code versions?

I'm trying to figure out what level of attic, wall, basement wall insulation levels were required by the different code versions over the years. If you know of a table of this type of info I would find it useful to have. Or if you have the knowledge to help me build this table your help would be appreciated. The table would look something like:

R-Value required in:

|  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Year of Code   |  Attic     Walls     Basement Walls     Crawlspace ceiling      Etc.

----------------------|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015               |

2009                                Filled in R-values for various locations

1970's

1960's

etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Martin

Tags: code, insulation, r-value

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Martin, that's a tough question.  It is tough enough to determine which of the more recent codes any jurisdiction is following.  Here in Maine they only recently adopted a state wide code program and even that has its exemptions.  I could probably go down to my local code office and with some effort come up with a paper trail for what we have been following over the years.  But that would have little relevance to other towns or states.

Can you share your objective?

Bud

Yes, finding out when codes were adopted in every municipality would be very hard. But filling out this table shouldn't be that bad. The reason I want to do this is to be able to have an idea of what insulation is in a home just by finding out the year it was built. I could figure out when the codes were adopted in the areas around Denver with a little effort too. This will help with marketing efforts because the energy company here is offering rebates on insulation if the home has R-19 or less, but no rebate if it had more. So when targeting homes that had R-19 originally I can talk to them about rebates, but not the newer homes. Make sense?

http://thehtrc.com/2014/first-look-upcoming-codes-changes has the national 2006 to 2015 tables (no changes between the 12 & 15) FYI - I don't think there was a change between 03 & 06 but I am not positive on that

There are a few free online code resources to research past values

Thanks! I've got 2006-15 filled in now. Can you tell me where on the web those free code resources are? I found some for the newer codes but I haven't found them for 2003 and earlier. Thanks.

Looks like the ICC cracked down on a few sites - one I still see (but have never used) https://archive.org/details/publicsafetycode

Martin, What the code required at a certain time and what the builder did are two separate issues.  Not until recently did you start to see real enforcement of the energy code.  There was no code prior to 1975 and what was used from '75 to 1986 was MEC, a very light duty idea of energy efficiency. 

Martin,

Local building code R-Value building requirement knowledge is a challenge

Here is what I know.
HUD code homes since 1998 was by split into 3 Zones for the USA see attachment

Insulation Manufactures would be your best resource. The R-Value they could produce for batts for those time periods
Zone I = R-11, R-19/R-20
Zone II = R-11/R-22/R-25
Zone III =R-19/R22/R-25

Current CA local building codes are listed on the attachments. Climate zone determines specific requirements for R-value for residential homes. The mandate is proven Net Zero for 2020 for residential homes before the sale.

This is the best I can offer you

Attachments:

Thanks for your reply Steven.

RSS

Forum Discussions

Investigating 3257KWH monthly usage issue.

Started by Brent Shapiro in General Forum. Last reply by Mike Pagozalski 23 hours ago. 9 Replies

What made this chimney fall down?

Started by Eric Kjelshus in General Forum. Last reply by Eric Kjelshus Jun 15. 5 Replies

Studies on Home Energy Audit Energy Savings Potential?

Started by Julie Saporito in General Forum. Last reply by Danielle Sass Byrnett Jun 15. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Margaret Okuzumi liked Home Energy Magazine's blog post The Results Are In: These Are The Most Energy-Efficient Utilities in the US
1 hour ago
Caleb Hill is now a member of Home Energy Pros
18 hours ago
Mike Pagozalski replied to Brent Shapiro's discussion Investigating 3257KWH monthly usage issue.
"I would strongly recommend having an actual licensed electrician come out evaluate the entire…"
23 hours ago
Green ID posted blog posts
yesterday

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service