Good Morning

I wrote this in one of my groups and i didn't get a reply, maybe I didn't do it correctly. I recently did an audit on 2 homes in Hollywood , Ca built in the 50's which have pocket doors. Because of those doors I got readings of 9000cfm When I found the leak and walked thru it. It was like going thru a car wash when they where blowing the water off. I can blowdry my curly hair straight. lol

Now I need to fix the problem, the question how to go about it, from the crawl space ? or attic? or drywall? comments greatly appreciated

Thanks for listening.

Judi Lyall with SHE BUILDS "GREEN"

Views: 3363

Replies to This Discussion

If the cavity for the pocket door was constructed as many were - open to the exterior walls, then here's a fix: Slide the pocket door out, measure it, poke your tape measure into the cavity to determine how much room you have between the exterior wall and the outer edge of the door when it is wide open (i.e. pushed back into its slot).

Then if you have the room, slice off a fitting piece of blueboard or similar extruded polystyrene foam board insulation wide enough to fill the cavity where the doors are, poke it into place where the carpenters back in the day left the exterior open to the pocket door slot, and then with caulk, seal the edges. If the Blower Door retest indicates still more flow after this exercise, then it's the top plate or crawl space that will need your air-sealing expertise. This way you can get the most likely culprit, the wall connection, while standing up. Later you may HAFF to get dirty chasing down the attic/crawl connections.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.  Home Energy Pros is sponsored by the Better Buildings Residential Network.

Latest Activity

Rick Karg replied to Carly@AirCycler's discussion The (Small) Cost of Ventilation Without Recovery
"As a member of the ASHRAE 62.2 committee (and president of Residential Energy Dynamics, the author…"
yesterday
Bradford E. White replied to Elizabeth Guinn's discussion ERV in need of backflow preventer.
"I would use an in-line backdraft damper such as Artis Industries or the ones made by Fantech and…"
yesterday
Kim Tanner posted a video

Wireless Air Leakage Testing

This webinar will discuss the use of WiFi technology to conduct and document blower door and duct leakage tests for compliance with local energy codes. The s...
yesterday
Profile IconPerry Grossman, Daniel Pate and Ottawa Furnace Filters joined Home Energy Pros
yesterday
Kirsten Richnavsky added a discussion to the group Building Performance Institute (BPI)
Thumbnail

Breaking the link between unhealthy homes and unhealthy kids

Listen in on IAQ Radio to a discussion on reducing the household triggers that cause asthmaattacks…See More
yesterday
Kirsten Richnavsky posted a discussion

Breaking the link between unhealthy homes and unhealthy kids

Listen in on IAQ Radio to a discussion on reducing the household triggers that cause asthmaattacks…See More
yesterday
Kim Tanner posted events
yesterday
Ottawa Furnace Filters posted a blog post

Some Useful Information about Furnace Air Filters

There is not much we can do about the air pollution outside of a house in Ottawa, Canada, but we…See More
yesterday

© 2015   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service