RESNET has proposed an amendment to their standards to define the word "shall". The proposed amendment is open for public comment until this coming Monday the 24th. If you've had the opportunity (or misfortune) of hearing me talk about the use of shall, then you already know my case against it. If not, then buy me a beer at the next conference and I shall enlighten you. Or you can read comment #8.
Not only is Saturn advocating against the use of shall, we promoting the elimination of it in the standards wherever it exists. We owe it to the readers of the standards to be very clear in our meaning. Shall is anything but clear. Make your voice heard and post your comments at RESNET's website.

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice points, though they also need to list the one overriding exception which is if it conflicts with state rules & regulations. I also agree with some of the others, no matter if they do change the definition or decide to take your advice (which I agree with) is show all the changed locations & submit them all  

If language is not correct,

Then what is said is not what is meant.

If what is said is not what is meant,

Then what ought to be done remains undone.

- Confucius (551-479 BCE)

We already suffer from a dramatic loss of precision in language in modern life, and I see no need to further "dumb down" technical specifications and codes to the lowest common denominator.

"Shall" means to impose a duty or obligation on a person. "Must" means of necessity and is more appropriately applied to inanimate objects.

For instance: "The contractor shall comply with ASHRAE 62.2." because "ASHRAE 62.2 must be used as the standard."

On standards published by International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO), IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission), ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials), IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), requirements with "shall" are the mandatory requirements.

Interesting

Shall we use must or must we use shall

I am not a lawyer

I am not a philosopher or a king.

I shall not be required to use must

I must not be required to use shall

I have a hammer and it does not split hairs 

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Twitter

Latest Activity

Quinn Korzeniecki posted a discussion

Five Retrotec Products Added to BPI Product List

The Building Performance Institute, Inc. (BPI) has recognized five new products in its Product…See More
50 minutes ago
Tom White's video was featured

New York energy policy & North American Passive House Network Conference

New York is increasing its energy standards and is investigating the possibility of implementing the Passive House Standard for new construction and retrofit projects. Interviewee: Ken Levenson, with NY Passive House Assoc and 475.
1 hour ago
Profile IconRichard Hale, Joseph Schulman, Carol W and 1 more joined Home Energy Pros
1 hour ago
miguel pace posted a blog post

Choosing the right Cooling Tower Fan

The cooling towers are often found in industries and manufacturing units, which are basically the…See More
5 hours ago
John Nicholas commented on John Nicholas's blog post Indoor Air - How do you measure if it is Healthy?
"Tom,   Here it is!"
10 hours ago
John Nicholas commented on John Nicholas's blog post Indoor Air - How do you measure if it is Healthy?
"The issue of Indoor Air Quality in a home comes up very regularly for a Home Energy Auditor. People…"
10 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Michael D'Arcy's discussion Small video we created to promote Home Performance
"Great! So those are results measured a year after work, not modeled? That makes you a rare…"
15 hours ago
Therma-HEXX posted a blog post

The ABCs of Snowmelting

Read this great article about snowmelting systems …See More
17 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service