Someone asked me how long LED last. I read in a LinkedIn group discussion ("Hot Buttons In Lighting") that EPA is considering lowering the ENERGY STAR requirement for LED from 15,000–20,000 to 10,000 hours to lower cost, make LED and CFL equivalent, and make LED more affordable.

There are good reasons to lower the lifetime or raise it. But what do we tell people who ask? And what do you think EPA should do?

Tags: LED, lighting

Views: 758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joesph-

while I agree with your post for the most part, an LED luminiare

is warm ( assuming the use of DC/LEDs ) they definitely do generate

heat but having said that I would concur there are secondary economic benefits

if using LED in downlighting cans- Many of these cans were designed for

incandescent lighting and are ventilated for their role using incandescent lamps.

The excessive ventilation equates to unnecessary air infiltration when these old

cans are being used with a LED luminiares- many are or will be switched to LED use.There are

considerations about air infiltration/exfiltration issue- its a sizeable amount of waste.

As a picture is worth a thousand words I should probably of posted 2 thermal

images of a LED downlight (purpose built) vs the energy waste seen in

a thermal image of a standard incandescent down light. Its very revealing !

Really good points Joseph about the cooling energy savings and the benefit of a sealed can-light. I wonder what the equivalent leakage area of all the can lights in North America would be...

We published an article a while back in Home Energy by Bob Clear about his calculations of the heating load added by CFLs when replacing incandescent lights, compared to the electric energy savings. In very cold climates, you add more in heating load than you save in electricity by replacing incandescents with CFLs. But in the vast majority of climates, the electrical savings outweigh any added heat load. So LEDs must be a good choice even in predominantly heating climates as well as cooling ones.

Here's a new bulb for industrial applications...

http://ledsmagazine.com/press/36016

No IR or UV so your art won't fade

Joseph-

The glacial light product is only a so- so example of 2012 era SSL luminiares -

There are many competitors with better performance - two examples the

Glacial light is not a UL approved product & they only warranty their fine

product for 8 seasons - That's a weak warranty for a purportedly well

engineered lamp- but your highlighting LEDs magazine as a bona fide

source of SSL industry developements is helpful - it's chocked full of info.

One last observation - as you stated the lack of IR & UV radiation is not

present with LED luminiares true  - but why would anyone be displaying

art under industrial hi bay lighting- unless the artwork in question was

as big as an elephant - btw a bulb refers to a "lamp" with a bulbous shape

like an A19 or a B10 lamps . You plant "bulbs" you illuminate with lamps.

Ha Ha Ha! I like planting bulbs because, especially like iris, they double in a season and where you had 8 last year, now 16 are fighting for light and water! If this same thing were true with lamps, we could all plant and plan our retirements in 25 years! " "What have you got there Jonesy? " ..."Oh just a crop of cheapo Glacials next to my Crees... and my Philips will be coming up in a couple of weeks. I can't wait for that CRI of 79! WooHoo...thirty lamps to the square foot at $28 a pop, so to speak!" And I thank you, Dennis, for the lesson on the lingo. As I obviously grew up with the Edisons and we called soda "pop" and lamps "bulbs", it may take this geezer a while to adapt to the terms so I appreciate all the help I can get, and this little forum, like LEDs magazine, is helpful because of experts willing to share.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Don Fitchett commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

Alliant Energy's PowerHouse TV: Sealing Leaky Ductwork

"Very educational. thanks for sharing Tom."
3 hours ago
Hal Skinner posted a discussion

How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?

I am asking this as I do not recall anyone speaking of any study to this end.  Many comments about…See More
3 hours ago

Mike Braun just added their location.
(via Member Map)

4 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"From my work in NY City many years ago, the critters I saw would never have fit through a quarter…"
7 hours ago
Barbara Smith replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"Eliminating quarter sized holes can impede rats from entering a building, in areas where rats tend…"
8 hours ago
Casey Murphy is now a member of Home Energy Pros
9 hours ago
Walter Ahlgrim replied to James White's discussion What happened to Home Energy Pro's website?
"Try downloading Google Chrome web browser https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/ I had similar…"
yesterday
Stacy Hunt posted an event

Building America Webinar: Multifamily Ventilation Strategies and Compartmentalization Requirements at Virtual

September 24, 2014 from 3pm to 4:30pm
The Building America Program is hosting a no-cost, webinar-based training on Multifamily…See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service