Has anyone had any experience using the Vent Cap Systems product for duct pressure testing vs. conventional perforated register tape? Thanks for any insight on this product,

Stefan Peter-Contesse

HERS Rater, BPI Analyst @ E3 Innovate

Nashville, TN

Views: 1147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the product

pros

fast set up, fast break down, no tape

cons loose registers still need tape the cap depends on the tightness of register, over time elastic band looses strength causing seal to be compromised, will not work on ceiling ducts, can not be used as pressure pan as shown( product not stiff enough for this application) 

The above shows more negatives than positives however the time saved when testing is huge. The loose register is not a huge deal as I have a screwdriver with me anyway, some registers cannot be tightened however do to the box ( not vent caps fault)

I wish the band was a bit more robust but for the most part they have worked well.

the cost seems a bit high for what you get a plastic tray with foam seal and elastic band hook and and a spring button like on camping gear. But the product is well designed and works 90 percent of the time for what it is intended.

The speed is what makes the units valuable

Glen,

Vent Caps were originally designed to work on negative pressure testing only.  I'm BPI Certified (Teaches Negative Pressure) and the Austin mandated audit requires negative pressure testing.  You've obviously have these original versions.  I still contend that negative pressure testing is the wisest way to test - I've seen a lot more balloons pop from over-inflation than I have under-inflation - however, I discovered a lot of people testing with positive pressure including HERS Raters, and the CA Title 24 test.  As a result I have designed a new cord fastener to replace the "camping gear" type fastener originally included.  These machined aluminum plungers, combined with a new rigid cord, dramatically increase the strength of hold as can be viewed in the first video below.  Conversion kits are available on the website to convert the original "black buttoned" versions into the new "aluminum buttoned" versions.  The originals also do not work with the new extension tool.  The second video shows a new improved Vent Cap sealing a 9' ceiling register without tape or a ladder.  The tool, attachable to any standard painter's pole, allows you to place and remove Vent Caps without lugging a ladder around.  (The tool is also included in the conversion kit, BTW.)  I'm working on new, higher quality videos (without my gut) and a couple of new tools for return air grills as well.  You can join the mailing list here to be notified when they're ready, and you can also see the growing list of testimonials here.  Glen, if you like the old ones you're going to LOVE the new ones.  I'm always available to answer any questions via phone or email.

Vent Cap Systems - Extension Tool from Corey Breed on Vimeo.

I,m not gonna buy nothing from a guy who wears a pink polo shirt.

For the record, it's a white shirt with a burnt orange polo.  Hook 'Em!!

CB

Growing list of testimonials can be seen here.  There's also a 30 day money back guarantee.  If you don't like them, send them back and I'll immediately credit your card.  No risk to start saving time, money, and a boat load of frustration.  See response to Glen below with some links and videos.  Call me if you have any questions.

CB

Stefan:

I have this product and used it for the first time yesterday. Small home with floor registers.(10)  The registers were loose so I removed registers and attached the hooks to sheet metal screws at the boot connection. Thought to ck my watch, 8 minutes total. Within 15 minutes had R/A covered DB connected and ready to test.

Now consider ceiling registers at 10-12 feet in a room full of antique furniture. No ladders and no accidents.

Allan G Hurst       AGHcoEnergy

All, I ordered a set of 20 of these at the end of January and tested five systems (positive pressure) the first day. I had the following comments for Corey and he responded rather quickly to the comments.

"I wanted to follow up with you regarding the vent caps that arrived this week.  I tested 5 systems on Thursday and had some initial difficulty.  I have outlined my concerns/issues below:
1.  It would be nice to have a short video of the use of the tool with close ups of the operations & a spoken walk thru.  I watched the YouTube video but some of operation was screened or too far away in the shots.
2.  It would be nice to have either an adjustable cap, or the option of a longer cap option.  The systems tested utilized multiple 8" return ducts, and the caps were a tad short not creating a seal to the ceiling on the ends.
3.  Of the 20 vent caps ordered, 4 of the "hooks" either permanently twisted or started to tear after the first two systems were tested. Is there a better hook that can be used?  I noticed on one of your videos there was a metal hook.
4.  This is a picky item, it would be nice if the cap with the pressure tap was more easily distinguished. This could be a unique color cord, different plastic color, different color foam gasket or other easily identifiable markings.
Overall, the system does save resources and allowed me to leave the 22' extension ladder in the car.  I found that the 4' ladder was still required, to attach/remove the vent caps in a more expedient manner than the vent cap tool to standard 9' ceilings.  I estimate that these five systems would have used about $25 in duct mask."

With his comments and more time, I will be more proficient at installing these at 20 to 22' with the tool and extension pole.

Rick Stepp

GreenHome Georgia

ordered one freebie to try - used only under negative pressure -  smoke stick showed enough leakage to cause concern (couldn't snug tight enough due to friction hold ... believe the best are pole mounted devices .. DIY

Paul

What do you mean by DIY?  Can you put a flow hood over the vent cap during a test to put a number to the leakage?  Is it the type of wx strip used?  Was it at the corners?  All around?  Something like this sounds like it could be made to work.

Ed Minch

hey ed ... the diy was directed toward making your own boot/vent stops ... easy enough to do ... for rough in, ventless and with vent ... I only had one but experienced leakage from that ... the pole mounted had no leakage as you are able to snug tight ... vent cap will only snug as tight as friction will allow ... vent cap is a great idea but needs tweaking ... in the meantime, we have made all our own devices.

Did your sample have a black button or a silver button?  As you can see from the video above the strength of the "friction hold" is now in excess of what's necessary.

Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate it.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner added a discussion to the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
Thumbnail

Improved acoustics

Some RCCs claim to improve acoustics .  Here are a few examples of ours.…See More
5 hours ago
Patrick Carter replied to Patrick Carter's discussion Minneapolis Blower Door & Test Equipment for Sale! in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"As of yesterday 09/19/2014, the equipment has been sold..."
yesterday
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Mornin Brett. 90 to 85, yes a slight variance there.  Same ASTM test, different scientists,…"
Friday
Bret Curry replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Great information Hal. It appears the thermal emissivity in your test was .85 rather than .90. Are…"
Friday
Juan Roca commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting - Garage Door opener interference
"Hi,There is a real problem with remote controls and LED lights. However, there is a solution in the…"
Friday
Profile IconJuan Roca and Elizabeth Coe joined Home Energy Pros
Thursday
Casey Gesell posted videos
Thursday
Gerald Shechter posted videos
Thursday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service