I recently saw UV bulb installations in 2 HVAC systems in a home. Each system had the Lennox Healthy Climate filter box that has 2 UV-A bulbs inside; the label said 150 watts which I'm assuming is the total for 2 bulbs. These bulbs are on 24/7/365. I calculated that at 150 watts per filter box x 2 boxes they are consuming almost 2600 kWh per year, costing the customer about $30 per month. My recollection is that trying to sanitize the airstream is basically ineffective and that the only place it makes sense to use UV is on the coil and pan. Please confirm if I am right and if you can cite any sources for this that would be great. 

Tags: HVAC, UV, consumption, electrical

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ultraviolet (UV) light is part of a family of radiations called the electromagnetic spectrum. UV is just beyond the violet end of visible light and has smaller wavelengths and greater energy.

reflector design

I use a high end UV light in my own home,  If I cook BBQ inside the house it will stink for 30 min and the UV/air cleaner will clean it  up, I do not sick as most and I shake all hands.   if UV dose is large will change the DNA.   UV dose = intensity  X time.  I slow down the ECM blower motor  to 250 CFM but on 24/7/365 and with UV light & air cleaner it uses some $150 yr cost power and with a little outside air will keep building positive and blows out the dirt and vapors.  www.sanuvox.com  is one I have used for years and years.   There are others that work well also.   UV has been used for 70 years.   Down side is the UV can rot PVC wire coating and poly pans on AC coils.  Fiber glass is ok for a pan.  UV can eat up a filter in 30 days 

yourhome.honeywell.com/home/.../UV.../SummaryList.htm

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.  Home Energy Pros is sponsored by the Better Buildings Residential Network.

Latest Activity

Dale Pickard replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"Hans, The car manufacturer's are doing it with mass flow sensors and oxygen sensors…"
10 hours ago
Dale Pickard replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"I was trying to avoid naming manufacturers, but I was going by the published information for the…"
11 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"I look at this not about AFUE,  but flue gas dewpoint.  If your burn rate is rotting the…"
13 hours ago
Bob Blanchette replied to Kirsten Richnavsky's discussion Crawl spaces and attics: OSHA to implement new rule on confined spaces
"Keeping HVAC equipment out of attics should be part of the new code. "
14 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Weigh in - Honorable Mention? 2nd Base? Half-Way There? 50% Better? On the Path? in the group 1000 Home Challenge
"Nickie -  Good points. I think it is easy enough to flag or designate projects that achieve…"
15 hours ago
Morgan M Audetat replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"Though Viessmann is relatively unique in the application of Lambda technology to condensing…"
16 hours ago
Lars olsen posted a blog post
yesterday
Eric Kjelshus replied to Rod Fox's discussion Does altitude affect AFUE? or just the input/output BTUs?
"The heat exchanger gets burnt out, if presser is to high or if mix is to rich, then I see holes in…"
yesterday

© 2015   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service