I just had another window salesman knock on my door and tell me that switching out my windows can save me 40% to 50% on my energy bills. When I pressed him, he said that's for switching out metal double pane windows with his high efficiency triple pane ones here in Texas.  He promised much higher savings when it comes to switching out my single pane metal ones.

I've modeled a lot of buildings for the Weatherization Assistance Program using the NEAT tool and windows have never ranked.  Even Krigger and Dorsi say that windows have a long pay back period and are probably the last things you should do.

I have this conversation all the time with my wealthier client base.  They always seem to have tight, double paned windows and want to switch them out before doing any air sealing or insulation. I end up talking them down.  And it seems like the windows guys have an evangelical zeal to convert energy auditors to their way of thinking.

I'd like to see the research.  Do you know of any studies on switching out windows?  I'm specifically looking for switching out double paned metal windows that are fairly tight.

Views: 5064

Replies to This Discussion

If you look closely at the inputs for Manual J in Wrightsoft; exterior storm windows provide some benefit.

Example: single glaze wood

SHCG w/o storm 0.64

SHCG w/storm 0.56

U-val w/o storm 0.90

U-val w/storm 0.57

Example: double glaze wood

SHCG w/o storm 0.56

SHCG w/storm 0.51

U-val w/o storm 0.57

U-val w/storm 0.44

Actually the larger air gap can create convection loops, so not necessarily a benefit.  Exterior storms are also designed to be sealed on three sides with an allowance for weeping/condensation/drainage on the lower edge.

Without first hand experience, interior storm windows seem to be a better option. 

Surely not true.  The bigger spacing allows for more convection and convective losses between the two surfaces.

No?

I certainly agree with most of the posts in reply, with one additional thought.

Determine the cause of the reasoning.  I have found in some cases that the homeowner is really talking about one or two specific rooms and has then made the mental leap to all rooms.  For instance a bedroom on the north side that is coldish in the winter time, or a favorite sitting room for sedentary activies such as reading.  In these particular cases, it may be perfectly reasonable to swap out the glass for super triple glazing and achieve the comfort  level the customer desires because of radiation effects.  Hot  (the customer) to  fairly cold (the window).

You know, the sort of thing that was happening  when your grandmother still complained of drafts in her house that she had heated to stifling temperatures.

Window salespeople have 'see and feel' going for them:

See- new windows look much nicer than an airsealed attic and basement

Feel - customers will feel less intense convective loops and radiant losses replacing a R-1 single pane with a R-3 double pane. 

Customers' 5 senses are hard to argue with! And who actually verifies energy savings anyway?  

I have seen the same results in my NEAT/MHEA experiments. In our area double panes will never come up cost effective under any conditions if both panes are intact.

That is a loaded question, and depends a lot on the window to wall ratio of your windows. I just was in a webinar today which spoke of dense-packed insulation, the fact that many older homes have wall cavities which are open into the attic, etc. I looked at windows for my house, but one issue which has kept me away is that I would have to have a larger opening cut for current egress requirements as part of changing out our bedroom window, so add that to all the other costs. I have metal double-panes currently. I can think of a number of air sealing, insulation and radiant barrier tacks to take before looking at windows again.

We've done audits and upfits to several thousands homes in South Carolina over the past four years. Our customers are interested in lower power bills and are generally on a limited budget. The cost vs. benefit of insulation, air sealing, duct sealing, or even a high efficiency HVAC replacement as compared to replacement windows seems like a no-brainer. In only a couple of cases out of thousands did replacement windows make any economic sense. www.carolinages.com

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Chris Laumer-Giddens posted a blog post

Mini-Split Heat Pumps are Quirky, Especially their Capacity

Mini-Split Heat Pumps are Quirky and Still EffectiveThe name "mini-splits" generally refers to heat…See More
1 hour ago
Jan Green posted an event

Solar Course for Appraisers at SRP's Pera Club

November 13, 2014 to November 14, 2014
"As the US continues to search for energy alternatives, properties improved with solar PV…See More
1 hour ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Just like paint.  RFoller and brush or strong airless sprayer.  It has the consistency of…"
5 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"ty and thermal emission leveld of many materials including bricks and white paint.  They do…"
5 hours ago
Hal Skinner added a discussion to the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
Thumbnail

Walmart goes green in Texas

We applied cour RCC to 5 Walmart superstores in Texas.  Worked great and they wanted it.  Then they…See More
5 hours ago
Kim Tanner replied to Trip Smith's discussion Where to spend my marketing dollars?
"Direct mail doesn't do very much, in my opinion, unless you have awesome coupons! Honestly,…"
6 hours ago
"Mornn Trip and Bud, In this case all I can do is report it exactly as it was told to me.  I…"
6 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Hi Hal, I have no experience with your RCC product, but I can comment in regards to using a radiant…"
9 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service