We're moving our office space and doing a lot of the build-out ourselves.  In our HVAC overhaul, we need to replace the manual thermostat with a setback model.  So I bought a Nest b/c I read about it, and it sounded great.  That, and it looks cool.

Our HVAC guy ripped it, though.  'Said that they don't work, they don't really do what they're supposed to do, 'worthless, and the company that makes them is being sued.

'Haven't done a lick of checking on any of this, but I wanted to touch base with this knowledgeable group first.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Nest they can share?

TIA.

Melissa

Views: 23873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"We'll override it via the Web-enabled programming"

Why put it in an area that can monitor occupant passage if you are going to override it anyways?

We haven't ... yet.  We're working on it.

Our old/new office is in a space that basically stood empty for five years during the Great Recession.  'Been doing a major stylistic and energy-efficiency overhaul.  Check us out on Facebook and HonestBuildings.com, which is a super-cool Web site, btw. 

GreenSpot on Facebook

GreenSpot on Honest Buildings

Anyhoo, upgrading ... well, everything is the order of business, including the HVAC.  Jerry Garner, our right-hand man, has been reading all the posts you've posted, and we think we've got this figured out.  Yesterday, 'wire disconnected to the transformer in the unit.  'Got that fixed.  Now we need to get the TEMP controlled.  I'm sure having the Nest hooked up will give us a Mission Control for the unit.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Melissa

Did the heat pump work with the old manual thermostat you have on your FB page, then not work with Nest? Did your HVAC guy try reinstalling the old stat to see if the system came back on?

With heat pumps it rarely pays to do setback in heat mode. You do NOT want the aux heat strips to kick on to get the building warm in the morning. Unfortunately the Nest "auto learn" is useless on heat pumps during winter, especially if the aux heat operation can't be locked out/forced at certain outdoor temperatures.

It's looking like Nest is a $250 "pretty stat" that doesn't do anything more than the $99 web enabled 3M you can buy at the big box stores. You already have mentioned defeating the "auto learn", the *big unique feature* of the Nest. So other than being pretty, what does the Nest really offer over other $250 thermostats?

The Nest is a great thermostat. The price is good and Honeywell wants to charge a lot of add-on fees plus 10 bucks a month for web enabled.

The only problem I have is the inability to handle a DFHP.  They fix that, and I will be recommending them on every audit.

There are a LOT of advanced features that most $200+ thermostats have that the Nest lacks. Take away the "auto learn" which most people bypass anyways and the only thing the Nest has over  $50 thermostat is the web enabled features.

Nest has not was to adjust temperature swing or when AUX heat kicks in. Nest not compatible with 2 stage cooling.

Nest has no AUX heat lockout above certain temperature, or compressor lockout below a certain temperature. No way to configuire if AUX heat can or cannot run with heat pump. Fix those and you have your DFHP compatibility.

Nest has no humidify/dehumidify functions, yet it has a humidity sensor?

Nest's installer settings are no more versatile than a $50 thermostat, they have a LONG way to go before they can hang with professional grade thermostats in the $250 price range. Fortunately most of this can be fixed with software updates, it's just a matter of Nest deciding to do it.

The ecobee is the only pro grade web enabled stat I've seen on the market that doesn't have a monthly service charge.

Hi Bob,

We actually do have AUX lockout. We only show relevant screens to people, so if you don't have a heat pump, you won't see that we have it.

Looking through your comments in this thread, it appears that you've been given some inaccurate information about Nest. You're welcome to contact me directly if you have any questions about Nest moving forward.

All the best,
Kate

OK!  If you have screens that you don't show everyone, do you provide support for a DFHP.  I currently am forced to use the Honeywell Stat, with their fossil fuel kit; to make it work.

Is there an approved way to set up my Nest (in a box - cause I can't use it) with a DFHP or do I need to return it?

Hi John,

Unfortunately, we aren't compatible with DFHP. 

-Kate

John, why not use an external dual fuel kit? Works with most heat pump thermostats, even the old mechanical ones.. DF kit

Maybe Nest will include DF capability it in a future firmware update.

When I replaced the conv. NG furnace /ac with DFHP, they installed a Honeywell 'stat and Fossil Fuel Kit.

I am at a loss as to why my nest can't work with that!?!

Should I have to spend another 29 bucks to keep Homeywell lawyers happy?

I don't see why your system wouldn't work, with a Nest, especially if you currently have a conventional heap pump stat. Nest says "not compatible" to cover their behinds because the typical homeowner has no business trying to figure out how their system is wired up. I'm not sure which heat pump stat you have, check the literature on Honeywell web site to see if everything is compatible. If it's too technical have a pro come look at your system. FF kits are complicated even for some pro's.

What is it you are looking for in the Nest that the Ecobee doesn't offer? The Ecobee has DF capability built in as well as a ton of other advanced settings. The only things the ecobee doesn't have are auto learn (which most disable anyways) and the pretty factor.

I bought my Nest in October last year. Then changed HVAC in late January.  I now have paid for the Nest and can't use it. (It sits in the original packing.) I have paid for the Honeywell, which I don't like. I have looked at the Ecobee since you put it up in this thread.  I suppose I could go buy another.  That would be 750 in 'stats. 

So I'm going slow and asking lots of questions.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Just like paint.  RFoller and brush or strong airless sprayer.  It has the consistency of…"
2 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"ty and thermal emission leveld of many materials including bricks and white paint.  They do…"
2 hours ago
Hal Skinner added a discussion to the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
Thumbnail

Walmart goes green in Texas

We applied cour RCC to 5 Walmart superstores in Texas.  Worked great and they wanted it.  Then they…See More
2 hours ago
Kim Tanner replied to Trip Smith's discussion Where to spend my marketing dollars?
"Direct mail doesn't do very much, in my opinion, unless you have awesome coupons! Honestly,…"
3 hours ago
"Mornn Trip and Bud, In this case all I can do is report it exactly as it was told to me.  I…"
3 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Hi Hal, I have no experience with your RCC product, but I can comment in regards to using a radiant…"
6 hours ago
Trip Smith replied to Hal Skinner's discussion What an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Wow, that's pretty incredible. I'm curious as to what other energy upgrades he did to the…"
7 hours ago
Tom White's video was featured

Adaptive Thermostats - Western Cooling Efficiency Center Webinar

In buildings where variations in occupancy would fool a standard programmable thermostat, new adaptive thermostats have potential for significant energy savings
8 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service