90% of all my new energy audit customers now expect reduced or 'free' service. BPI has sites listing participating contractors who offer free audits. BPI has advertised rates of $250 for a whole house assement and audit.

As a professional who has been in the construction business since 1972; I feel this is an attack on the industry from administrators who are micro mannaging the industry. A blower door with all diagnostic equipment now costs around $6,000. Level 1 IR training and a 120 x 120 pixel IR camera, (one that meets the anticipated RESNET standards0, is approaching another $10,000. Add insurance, advertising and overhead; the $250 audit fee is a major income loss.

Perhaps the audit/sales/install business is what is pushing out the independent auditors. That spells loss of competiton and more expense for the home owner. Handy men and home owners who want to do their own retrofits will be out in the cold.

As with any government run enterprise; This business is going to be over influenced, controlled and limited to the big players at the independents and consumers expense.

Views: 3978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point.  I carry a library card I must be a Librarian

Why not direct your (potential) clients to the 1000 Home Challenge, wherein more is considered and results are easy to see?

Important note:  The point is to affect people in many more than 1000 homes, and communities, too.

Full disclosure:  I've developed a way to help with considering more.

The only one making any money at all are the "McDonalds"  of energy auditing; outfits like Conservation Services Group who field mostly 20-somethings who are happy taking home $12/hr.  The very idea that a truly independent HERS rater or BPI-minted 'pro' can make a decent living, after amortizing their start-up costs and other overhead  in the open marketplace is a non-starter.    Plus none of what is 'sold' at the retail lever is proprietary, customers don't know whom or what to believe so they often take the least-cost approach to minimize their risk.

Its a tough business and my hat is off to anyone who can make a go of it.  

Thanks David.

I hope all you folks out there read the post that David has directed us to, and really allow yourself to internalize all that is said in the post.

The keys to success are plainly laid out in the post. I, for one, have taken each point to heart.

Because there are so many keys, I posted an offer pertaining to internalizing what is said in the post.

There are now 8 pages of highly trained blame game. Allison lays it out there, it is your fault if you are not successful. Don't blame others, change your game.

Agree with you 100% Bill!

I would have to add another one to Allison's list.  Learn marketing and sales.  Heck at least read Dale Carnegie's book "How to win friends and influence people".  They should hand out that book when people apply for a business license.  

While linking that thing, I noticed there are some other variations...obviously updates written by someone else.  

JJ

It does really come down to being a one-man multi-talented multi-tasking show - while willing to wait for your investment to hopefully pay off.  One tact in selling is to remind your customer that the only thing you are selling is INFORMATION and you are not pushing any particular product per se. 

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, While it's true I did some of the finish work myself, I also acted as my own…"
26 minutes ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Thank you Linda for your response; and your generosity in sharing your suggestion and hope. I…"
31 minutes ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Wow...thank you so much for your response Alice! I really appreciate it. It is simply amazing all…"
42 minutes ago
Tom White's 3 videos were featured
1 hour ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured
1 hour ago
Sharon Block's 3 events were featured
1 hour ago
Tom White posted videos
1 hour ago
Linda Wigington replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Kaushal I just spent more than an hour on a detailed response and lost when I decided to check the…"
1 hour ago
Sharon Block posted events
1 hour ago
Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, I understand your predicament, as I also have a house in Berkeley that I wanted to…"
1 hour ago
"Thanks Graham for that. It was also my belief that the cost difference between remodeling and doing…"
3 hours ago
"Thanks Jim! I'll be sure to check that out."
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service