What to do this summer:

Extend Your Living Space onto the patio or deck.

Make additions which increase comfort & reduce energy costs.

Add Shade in the right places with the right tree.

An improved variety of bradford pear is generally the best choice!

Take advantage of the home's orientation to maximize comfort & efficiency. The south-facing side of the home is usually the most beneficial place for outdoor space.

Purchase a dehumidifier now not just for the basement, but one for the first floor, too!

Lower humidity levels in summer are great for people and buildings.

First, enjoy your summer!

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great and wonderful advise.

I'm curious about your rationale for suggesting a dehumidifier for the first floor.  Is that climate-specific advice?

Here in Kansas, some friends of mine thought they would save energy by using a room-size dehumidifier instead of their central air conditioner.  Not only did it make the house oppressively hot, it used more energy than the central air.  It is my experience that if a house is both hot and humid, central air will invariably be more efficient and more satisfactory than a dehumidifier.

You say "the southside is usually best" -- best for what?  Frying eggs?

I would add to your list, close curtains on south- and west-facing windows during the day.

LOL, isn't it amazing how one can tell that someone sure doesn't live anywhere close based on their advice?

Tom, If you don't take a BPI class or something we'all are going to find a Dick Chenny website and start uploading conversations about bird hunting. 

Bill, you kinda lost me on that one, but I've learned agree with anything you say. Have a great weekend, t

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconKarin Haerter and Juan joined Home Energy Pros
36 minutes ago
Caoimhin P Connell replied to Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
"Good morning, Mr. Cullen – As I mentioned in another post – for the purposes under…"
48 minutes ago
tedkidd replied to Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
"If putting the house under positive pressure using fresh air helps mitigate not just radon, but…"
1 hour ago
Rich Manning replied to Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
"Tell them the truth as you know it, and back it up with the facts!!"
2 hours ago
Rich Manning replied to Charles Ryan Weitzel's discussion Oil Fired Boiler Being Used as the Heating Source in Two Air Handlers of a Historic Home
"Yes, its a Hydro-air system. It uses one boiler to supply hot water to the coil in the supply side…"
2 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
";) I love uncovering absuedities... Funny how creatively and vehemently people will argue against…"
2 hours ago
Rich Manning replied to Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
"Ted, you did it again! I would say that there's nothing like explaining the facts, but that…"
2 hours ago
Rodney Fox liked Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
2 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service