What to do this summer:

Extend Your Living Space onto the patio or deck.

Make additions which increase comfort & reduce energy costs.

Add Shade in the right places with the right tree.

An improved variety of bradford pear is generally the best choice!

Take advantage of the home's orientation to maximize comfort & efficiency. The south-facing side of the home is usually the most beneficial place for outdoor space.

Purchase a dehumidifier now not just for the basement, but one for the first floor, too!

Lower humidity levels in summer are great for people and buildings.

First, enjoy your summer!

Views: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great and wonderful advise.

I'm curious about your rationale for suggesting a dehumidifier for the first floor.  Is that climate-specific advice?

Here in Kansas, some friends of mine thought they would save energy by using a room-size dehumidifier instead of their central air conditioner.  Not only did it make the house oppressively hot, it used more energy than the central air.  It is my experience that if a house is both hot and humid, central air will invariably be more efficient and more satisfactory than a dehumidifier.

You say "the southside is usually best" -- best for what?  Frying eggs?

I would add to your list, close curtains on south- and west-facing windows during the day.

LOL, isn't it amazing how one can tell that someone sure doesn't live anywhere close based on their advice?

Tom, If you don't take a BPI class or something we'all are going to find a Dick Chenny website and start uploading conversations about bird hunting. 

Bill, you kinda lost me on that one, but I've learned agree with anything you say. Have a great weekend, t

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Twitter

Latest Activity

tedkidd liked Luis Hernandez's discussion Airsealing an old basement ceiling
1 hour ago
Ryan T De La Rosa posted a blog post

The Clean Power Plan and What You Can Do

Last month, Jessica Hardcastle at Environment Leader described an especially non-polarizing…See More
2 hours ago
Ed Minch replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Airsealing an old basement ceiling
"Luis Think of it as a part of the house that is not being used, but part of the house none the…"
6 hours ago
Luis Hernandez replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Searching for a multifamily study book in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Hey Craig!  Well, let's get serious and keep asking all our friends in the Home…"
8 hours ago
Luis Hernandez replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Airsealing an old basement ceiling
"Hey there Ed,      I appreciate you comments... this is an interesting case because…"
8 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Airsealing an old basement ceiling
"bit.ly/ESHPhabitat1 our habitat project -mostly dirt floor..."
9 hours ago
Bryan Gabriel replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Airsealing an old basement ceiling
"Luis, thanks for being open to sharing your experiences and photos of your project. What is the…"
10 hours ago
Craig McManus replied to Craig McManus's discussion Inventions that save energy, licensing to a US manufacturer?
"Yes happily."
11 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service