Sprinkler Mandate Debated.. What do you think should be done?

Sprinkler Mandate Debated An article in the San Francisco Chronicle ("Sprinkler mandate debated," by Matthew Hamilton, 8/4/14) outlines a code debate in New York state that could set a precedent for other states: On one side are firefighters advocating for sprinkler systems for today's homes that use lighter-weight construction materials and are typically stocked with items that burn quickly. "In three to four minutes, houses are flashing over because of the heavy fuel load," said James Burns, president of the Firemen's Association of the State of New York. "They are collapsing on the ground before the fire service arrives." On the other side are contractors, who while advocating for safety say the cost of installing sprinkler systems would drive up the cost of homes and wreak havoc on the housing market. "People buy what they can afford," said State Builders Association Executive Vice President Lewis Dubuque. "People that can't afford to buy homes with sprinklers, they're going to be moving into homes that (sprinkler advocates) admit are unsafe." Homebuyers will pay at least a few thousand extra dollars extra to pay for sprinkler systems if the state accepts the new code. Meanwhile, the APA-The Engineered Wood Association is urging other alternatives for fire-safe homes. No doubt feeling the pressure from firefighters fingering "light-weight building materials," it recently published a report that provides several practical methods for the design and construction of fire-resistant floor assemblies built with wood I-joists: APA System Report SR-405: Fire Protection of Floors Constructed with Prefabricated Wood I-Joists for Compliance with the 2012 International Residential Code.

http://www.jlconline.com/codes-and-standards/sprinkler-mandate-deba...

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeffrey - yes I got to agree with you on the cost. Of course part of this is because both sides of an argument generally just love to exaggerate their claims by finding the worst or best case possible.

For your third paragraph - seriously? The fire sprinkler will save my life if one is stupid enough to not only walk into the room, but also to stay there & ignore the smoke detector? Wow... As an FYI fire hardly kills it is the smoke & since we are so big on saving lives - why in gods name do we install sprinklers in kitchens when most of those fires are caused by grease & the last thing you want to combat a grease fire with is water... Shall we also discuss electrical fires & water? 

As for the final paragraph - I doubt it due to leaks, fire departments not turning down their pressure, etc... Natural resources - really? How many miles of pipe are needed in all these houses where only 1 in 10,000 or more may see a fire that might kick it off. Carbon usage - sorry I can't stop laughing on the absurdity of that claim

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Susan E. Buchan posted a status
"EEBA's Conference in St. Louis last week was a great success! Presentations at http://www.eeba.org/conference/2014-presentations."
9 hours ago
Jan Green replied to George Kopf's discussion Real Estate Professionals need our support - but how?
"It helps for companies to understand what the public wants and to educate them so that realtors are…"
9 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Hi Bret and thans for the offer.   I sent you a friend request so I can send you a…"
10 hours ago
Kevin Jordan shared George Kopf's discussion on Facebook
10 hours ago
Kevin Jordan replied to George Kopf's discussion Real Estate Professionals need our support - but how?
"so who funds the greening of the inventory? would this be company by company?"
10 hours ago
Don Fitchett commented on Home Energy Magazine's blog post A Day in the Life of Learning
"This is a great addition to the July edition. Our PLC training uses the three areas too, but more…"
10 hours ago
Bret Curry replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Hal, Not sure if you serve the Little Rock market, or know of a company who does. If you know of…"
10 hours ago
Robert Cameron's discussion was featured

Air duct testing questions.

Many towns are now adopting the 2012 code about duct testing.  This is a great thing. However I…See More
11 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service