We're on a project installing "smartstats" for customers. I'd like to get some feedback to what other Building Science guys thought about the program/thermostat. The costs of energy vary based on demand, why shouldn't customers be given the option to pay different prices based on what it costs the power company the generate power?

The smartstat automatically raises the setting when energy prices go up during peak hours. Customers can opt out at any time if they don't like the program. OG&E will even give the customer a refund if the program hasn't saved them money in the first year. The stat is free to the customer, OG&E pays all the costs including installation. All thermostat related issues are covered for the consumer, if the stat fails it's replaced free of charge.

Customers can call 877-898-3834 24hrs a day if they have any questions on how to operate their stat. They also get a copy of the owners manual (the same as the PDF link). Most of the owners manual is accessible from the help button on the front of the thermostat. We set the initial programming based on customers preferences when we do the install, they are free to modify it anytime if they choose.

http://www.ogepet.com/programs/smarthours.aspx

Pioneer Thermostat

Views: 246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bob,

The advanced controls on your thermostat are great!

hysteresis= swing temperature

anticipation= advanced recovery time

max recovery time= an alternative to second stage swing temp

Some thought went into its design.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Shashank Kirloskar posted a blog post

Important Facts about Solar Energy

“I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait…See More
6 hours ago
reflintorm replied to Dennis McCarthy's discussion Solid state lighting - saves lives- and it improves life .
"In my observation, In most of the lightning appliances led bulbs are used because of their…"
7 hours ago
Chad Mcaulife posted photos
15 hours ago
Bob Blanchette commented on Jeremy Begley's blog post The Home Envelope : Does it Really Matter in a Heat Loss Calculation
"Infiltration makes a HUGE difference. Look at the heat loads on a windy day vs. a calm one. On a…"
15 hours ago
Bob Blanchette commented on Everblue's blog post Poor HVAC Installation Leads to Increased Energy Use
"That explains a LOT of why HVAC system continue to be sized by the same "rule of thumb"…"
15 hours ago
Profile IconChristian Asdal and Shashank Kirloskar joined Home Energy Pros
16 hours ago
Don Fitchett shared their video on Digg
16 hours ago
Don Fitchett shared their video on StumbleUpon
16 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service