Say Farewell to the 100-Watt Incandescent Lamp. New Lighting Efficiency Rules Take Effect Nationwide January 1, 2012.

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a solid state lighting advocate I couldn't be happier. Despite misconceptions about the impact of the ban we

will ALL be better off if all incandescents become forgotten relics. Some salient points first- in California they (100wt) are

banned as of Jan 2011 ***another point they ( the bans) aren't forcing people to use Cfls, or any specific type of light...

Its about the efficiency of the product - similar to CAFE ( mpg) requirements for vehicles! Mfgs need to produce a

better product for the times we live in!

They ( mfgs) need to make lights more efficient . Theres a growing list of lighting options; Leds in luminiares , Oleds

Qleds , Olet , ESL and others that are being developed by various businesses. All of these have one thing in common

the're 21st century lighting options , not outdated lighting products that our grandparents used!

I know my kWh use of 3209 for a family of 3 for the whole year(2010) wouldn't happen with those wasteful incandescents!

CFL's and LED's should be able to get whatever market share they deserve based on how well they fill the lighting needs of people.

So should incandescent 100 watt bulbs.

If I want to use a dimmer on a 100 watt bulb to go from subdued to full bright lighting, I can't do it with a CFL, and I don't want to spend the $$ for an equivalent LED, nor do I particularly like waiting for a CFL to warm up so it lights up bright.

So until CFL's and LED's overcome my (and I'm sure many other people's) objections, I want to be able to choose the 100 watt incandescent, inefficient though it may be.

That's NOT to say that I don't have CFL bulbs in appropriate places in my home.   I have lots of them, but not where I need a dimmer, and not where I must have the light on at full brightness immediately (like on the stairway).

The choice should be ours to decide what we want to use.

If I'm OK with spending the extra $$ for the electricity to run an incandescent, I don't need someone telling me I can't.

The reality is Incandescent bulbs -WILL be banned ( already in California - 100 watt) mfgs won't make them!

Stores won't have the option of buying them from distributors,Leds will improve in quality -a lot, and labels will make it known what the lumen per watt means, buyers of light will become enlightened

, people Especially young people THEY will just adjust to Led lighting - incandescents will go away.

whether ya like it or not! This is like Leaded gasolines phase out - its progress- people adapt!!

Hoard the bulbs you like now- store them next to your 8 tracks or vcrs- time marches on- the incandescents

have had their time---  its now time for solid state lighting, Quality SSL  - it is out there, You have to go

into it with a good group of metrics to evaluate the products - And the products will become much cheaper

in 2 or 3 seasons. The better quality  Leds are a good value- soon they'll be an outstanding value

Dennis...

There are Luddites out there, and there are Tyrants out there.

I am neither.   I am a practical user of lighting products, who wants to make a practical and economically sound decision about what type of lighting product will best fill my need.

I don't need to be beaten into submission by tyrants telling me what I can and cannot have.  

If LED's are a better value, I'll buy them and use them without anyone telling me I have to.

I have a Maglite flashlight that I no longer use because I can buy an LED flashlight that is adequate to my needs for less money, and the batteries for it last 5 times longer.

CFL's for my home have reached that level of economic competitiveness but have some drawbacks.

LED's for my home don't have the drawbacks, but haven't reached that level of economic competitiveness yet.

America is a capitalist country.   Look up the definition of capitalism, and you'll find part of it involves making the best and most efficient use of resources.. In this discussion, that would be the money needed to buy and use light, in whatever form that light might be.   LED's are nice and efficient and expensive right now.   Make them cheap enough, and you won't have to force anyone to buy them.   Like my flashlight, they will just make more sense.

When that happens, I'll be posting to encourage everyone to use LED's.

Its not about being forced - its about a change in the way a task is done.

Did you show similar feelings towards the imposistion of  digital tv signals.

Lets view it as a positive - when 100s of millilions of sockets( e-26) are using

a better approach - we as a nation will be better off - Even if magically all

incandescent bulbs became 20 or30% more efficient - we would be seeing a

benefit .Will incandescents become more efficient - nah !                                                             Since its  the 21st century, we should be using 21st century solutions

my take - I don't want to light my house using similar products to what

they were using 70 years ago! I use Leds - Last year my kWh usage was

a very respectable ( 3209 for 3 ) for  a year - Led use is a big part of why I didn't need

excessive amounts of energy - we used electricity in a responsible way!

Dennis, you say "Its not about being forced"... but if you go back and read what you have written, you say "As a solid state lighting advocate I couldn't be happier.", and " Incandescent bulbs -WILL be banned ( already in California - 100 watt) mfgs won't make them!

Stores won't have the option of buying them from distributors".  

You certainly sound happy about having choice taken away from the buying public.

To answer your question about Digital TV, NO, I didn't show similar feelings towards digital TV signals, as long as I could choose to use digital or to use analog.   I started having a problem when the choice was taken away from me, and 2 perfectly good TV's became useless overnight.

I'm not trying to say that incandescent bulbs are great and LED's are not.

I'm trying to say that there is a place for them, and it's not right to ban the sale of them just because there is something better available.

Why are they still allowed to sell manual shift transmissions in cars?  Aren't there automatic transmissions that are better?    You can still buy candles.... Why are we allowed to buy candles when there are electric lights that give more light than a candle?

You can still buy oil lamps... Why are we still allowed to buy those when there are electric lights?

We haven't lost our right to choose those things, why should we lose our right to choose the type of light bulb we want?

You are a lighting guy, and are into the newest and the best.   That's great, and I am glad to hear that you are saving lots of KWH.    THAT WAS YOUR CHOICE, and you were free to choose that or whatever else you wanted.

I don't pretend to know what is best for you, and I don't try to tell you that you can't choose what works best for YOU.

I want the same respect from you.  I resent anyone trying to tell me that they will take away my right to choose what works best for me.   In Europe, they have figured out how to still buy 100 watt light bulbs.... They're not made as light bulbs any more... they manufacture them as 100 watt heat sources, and people still buy them.   Maybe that will have to happen here too.

Ira, if you were generating your own electrical power, I'd agree with you.  But because your eletrical power comes from elsewhere, you share generating capacity and wheeling (transmission) capacity with other users.  Generating capacity and transmission line capacities are maxed out at times in various parts of the country necessitating rolling blackouts or possible brownouts.  The free market isn't getting it done when it comes to efficiency implementation; hence regulations mandating more efficiency. 

The lighting efficiency regulations are actually quite modest compared to what they could have been.  You'll likely be buying a halogen incandescent if you want to replace your typical 100W bulb, or you can go LED and not worry about changing a bulb for years.  LED costs will drop very quickly in the next few years just as CFL costs dropped quickly after they had been out for awhile.

I use incandescent bulbs for their heating capability and lose about 5% to light energy.  I myself will have to go with a more expensive heater substitute.  Incandescents are great heaters, but for lighting I'm already replacing my CFLs with LED lighting; at least until electroluminescent (EL) panel prices come down.  Incandescents are so last millenium.

The rule won't ban incandescent bulbs. It's not helpful for people to claim that it does when this just riles up those who don't like CFLs. It's an incremental change, much as has been seen with appliances for decades.

There are plenty of exemptions and reduced requirements (e.g. decorative bulbs, tinted bulbs) that mean that existing incandescent products will remain available. Many companies are manufacturing advanced incandescents (based on halogen and other technologies) that will be available.

The requirement sits just above the typical efficiency levels of common incandescent bulbs - - and well below the efficiency levels of CFLs. So new products developed to just edge over the line will make incandescent light readily available. You can already buy these bulbs.

Now, advanced incandescents' purchase price is more in line with CFLs (a couple dollars), rather than incandecents (a few dozen cents), so the cost/payback argument with energy costs included is easier to make as CFLs remain quite a bit more efficient.

But if people still want incandescent light, they will have it.

(and all of this is a good example of why folks need to talk in lumens rather than in watts)
For the sake of argument, what about not being able to buy an inefficient refrigerator? There have been regulations on refrigerator efficiency for some time.

Background: http://ees.ead.lbl.gov/projects/past_projects/refrigerators

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Casey Gesell commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

Ducts in an Attic

"Hi Tom, Thank you for sharing our Dr. Energy Saver video!"
19 minutes ago
Diane Chojnowski posted a discussion

EEBA 2014 Conference Presentations

EEBA has posted many of the presentations from their conference in St. Louis last week. Check them…See More
23 minutes ago
Profile IconJames Tucker, Dean Brewer and CPB Mechanical joined Home Energy Pros
54 minutes ago
Tom White posted a video

Ducts in an Attic

http://www.drenergysaver.com | 1-888-225-6260 In episode 66 of the On the Job video series, Larry Janesky, owner and founder of Dr. Energy Saver, is back to ...
15 hours ago
Stacy Hunt posted events
20 hours ago
Rob Madden, Solar Home Broker posted blog posts
20 hours ago
Kerry Haglund posted a blog post

Efficient Windows Collaborative Releases Window Selection Tool Mobile App

The Efficient Windows Collaborative (EWC) has released a mobile app based on it web-based Window…See More
21 hours ago
Casey Gesell posted a video

Home Comfort Pays for Itself | Ideas Worth Sharing

http://www.myhomescience.com There are 88 million homes in the U.S. and Canada alone that burn twice as much fuel for heating and electricity for cooling tha...
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service