RemRate allows for a ground source heat pump and you can couple it to the domestic hot water system.  However I need to convert the Water Furnace's 5.0 COP to an equivalent EF.  Any ideas?????

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One would be tempted to put in 500%, but refrain, the stated COP is just for the unit, not the HP system, which will include pumping power and other distribution losses.  Probably system COP closer to 3.

Hi Elizabeth -- If you look at the last page of this article (http://www.luntmarymor.com/condensing_heaters.pdf), you'll see a nice description of how EF is measured.  From this, and factoring in the additional consumption that Michael mentioned, you can probably come up with a reasonable approximation of the EF for your scenario.  The toughest part may be to figure out the standby losses, if the DHW is a tank-type system.

Note that in REM the EF is entered as a decimal, not a percentage -- and for a heat pump, the decimal will be larger than 1.0.

I was looking at REM/Rate and the GSHP only needs COP entered. It looks like you only need to model the type of water heater you are using for EF and also check desuperheater in the heat pump section if they are coupled.
Also to add the pump watts. Are you using the GSHP to supply 100% of the domestic hot water?
Thanks for the help.  Didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone had already been down this path.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Twitter

Latest Activity

Michael Wenzel is now a member of Home Energy Pros
12 hours ago
Stan Harbuck added a discussion to the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
Thumbnail

4 Fans, Doors, Gauges, etc. for Sale - 4 Q4E 3300 Retrotec Fans, Doors, Drivers, etc.

4 Rarely used Q4E 3300 Retrotec fan sets (2010/2011) and all related equipment for sale, including…See More
15 hours ago
Stan Harbuck joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
16 hours ago
Amber Vignieri posted a blog post
yesterday
Barbara Smith's video was featured

Weatherization: Crawl Spaces

Crawl Spaces - Training for Weatherization Installers. Re-posted from Seventhwave.org
yesterday
Kelly replied to Colin Genge's discussion What is the value of using a pressure pan to test outlets?
"Hi Colin, I like using the pressure pans at outlets to guide my inspections once I'm in the…"
Thursday
Leo Klisch commented on Home Energy Magazine's blog post Natural Gas is Becoming Less Attractive
"It seems a bit wasteful to use NG for such a low temperature application as space heat. If a heat…"
Thursday
HomeWiz posted photos
Thursday

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service