Proper means to "plug" flue pipes after testing gas appliances.

I have seen metal "plugs" (and this may not be the correct term) used for the holes that are drilled in vent pipes, in order to test combustion appliances.

I'm referring to the type 1 vent pipe that is standard for atmospherically-vented gas appliances.

These plugs appear to be superior to HVAC foil tape. Any thoughts on this?

Also, does anybody know how to get their hands on these metal plugs? I use a 5/16" bit to drill probe holes.

Thanks in advance!

Views: 2506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use furnace cement.  Up to 3000 degree tolerance, inexpensive and easy to apply.  I carry a small jar with an applicator inside.

I like to leave things as close to the way I found them.

Patrick,

These are what works for the programs I am involved in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. They are specifically made for the purpose of plugging test holes. The price is good too. Make sure you use a step drill bit, otherwise they may not snap in and hold.

http://www.trutechtools.com/metalplug

Andrew

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconJamie klema, James Weingardt and Anthony Adams joined Home Energy Pros
3 hours ago
Bob Blanchette liked Diane Chojnowski's discussion Now you can "LIKE" posts on Home Energy Pros!
5 hours ago
JC NATALE posted photos
22 hours ago
Joe Quiroz Jr. liked Don Hynek's discussion Superinsulation retrofit is Complete!
yesterday
Mick Lane replied to Rob Buchanan's discussion High-use headscratcher
"The geothermal heat pump is the most likely culprit.  The heat pump doesn't make heat it…"
yesterday
Mick Lane is now a member of Home Energy Pros
Friday
Empower Efficiency added 2 discussions to the group Job Board
Friday
Tom White's video was featured

A net-zero builders formula for insulating a super energy efficient home

Here is Peter Amerongen's formula for insulating a super energy efficient home.
Friday

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service