First time I've come across these units--

vents with 5" hose thru window , exhaust only !
located in 2nd fl bath of 1.5 srory with can lights in ceiling, unsealed.

All that air going out the window was being replaced thru the can lights with 150* air from under the roof deck- !

In the manual and on the website www.edgestar.com there are no efficiency ratings.
How is this legal to sell ??? I thought all HVAC equipment had to meet standards ?

Thanks for your thoughts

Ken @ CommonWealth Solar

Tags: AC, portable, units

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, portable A/C units really don't makes sense. One room gets cool at the expense of hot air leaking in other parts of the house.

I thought some of the portable units used a coaxial vent so they could pull in outside air and then vent the heat right back out.  I looked up the unit mentioned and was surprised to see no such description.

Thanks for the heads up Ken as I will be sure to avoid this in my future suggestions.

Bud

I've never seen a a coax hose. I've seen 2 hose systems, but they are rare. If you need cooling for one room get a conventional window unit or a mini-split if you have the cash.

For seniors I have suggested the portable units as they can't manage moving a traditional window unit.  The portables use a simpler window panel which allows them to move the unit as needed.  BUT, I've never installed or used one so I will do a bit more research before I make any more suggestions.  Amazing how a mfg can mess up something so simple.

Bud

Doesn't surprise me, they are more interested in sales and cooling one room than total energy use. For the cost of one of those portable units you can buy a 5,000BTU window unit for 4 rooms. Then the seniors wouldn't have to worry about moving anything.

Well, the first unit I looked at on the vendor's website 

AP14009COM - EdgeStar Server Cool 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner - Silver)

says this: 

"Exhaust Options:

A window vent kit and dual hoses are included, and the AC can be easily installed through the wall or paired with an optional ceiling vent kit."

Doesn't that mean you exhaust the old air out one hose and get the replacement air through another hose?

That's the commercial unit--I'm dealing with the AP12000.  Exhaust only.

My greatest concern is that these are sold withour EER's. As no one on this list has dealt with that aspect of my post, I'll take it to LBL

Stay tuned-----------

Ken

The manufacturer cannot provide an EER even if they wanted to. Without knowing the temperature of the air entering to replace the air exhausted from the condenser there is no way to know what the net BTU output is. I suppose they could use 95F, same as OD temp for standard EER tests.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner replied to Richard Beyer's discussion Spontaneous Combustion and Flash Fire regarding Spray Foam Insulation
"Richard, here is something else that might be pertinent. In my hundreds of conversations with our…"
12 hours ago
Trip posted a discussion

Starting a Home Weatherization Business. Considering it...

I am considering starting a home weatherization business. (I live in Southeast Alabama)  Currently…See More
13 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"To all, one thing I don't lack is advice from the experts! Thanks for the input, challenges,…"
14 hours ago
tedkidd commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Jim, I'm glad you are open, that's great!  We all learn best when we are open! The…"
14 hours ago
David Eakin commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post My Energy Upgrade California—The Numbers Are In
"Jim, Well, as the editor of Home Energy you should already know that the order of remediation is…"
14 hours ago
Greg Labbe posted a blog post

Technical Tape Desecration

Lets face it – building science is pushing the performance of adhesive tapes to a new levels and…See More
16 hours ago
Stacy Hunt posted an event

High Performance Enclosure Strategies: Part II, New Construction at Online

August 13, 2014 from 1pm to 2:30pm
Please join the Building America Program for our free webinar: High Performance Enclosure…See More
18 hours ago
Richard Beyer replied to Howard Katzman's discussion UV lights on filters
"Howard, There are numerous manufacturer's who swear these systems work and then you have the…"
yesterday
Christopher Morin posted a blog post

How do You Test a TXV?

Thermostatic Expansion Valves (TEV or TXV), one of the most popular metering devices for…See More
yesterday
Howard Katzman posted a discussion

UV lights on filters

I recently saw UV bulb installations in 2 HVAC systems in a home. Each system had the Lennox…See More
yesterday
Don Fitchett joined Michael Stuart's group
Thumbnail

INFRARED THERMOGRAPHY USERS

This group is dedicated to knowledge sharing and discussion of infrared thermography for building…See More
yesterday
Don Fitchett commented on Diane Chojnowski's group Pinterest
"While most of our (BIN95.com) energy post and boards are industrial related, there are crossovers…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service