I've been experimenting with Pinterest for a few weeks, and am increasingly falling in love with it. While many consider it to be primarily the realm of gorgeous imagery, recipes and pretty consumer products, I'm finding the concept of "pinning"--the online version of scrapbooking--to be really valuable. 

In particular, one of my passions is for Energy Information Design and Pinterest has become the perfect tool for accumulating interesting approaches in one easy place. 

What's been quite amazing to me is that my board, Energy Information Design, is now #1 Google organic for that search term. (A little obscure, perhaps, but not really.)

Check it out here: Energy Circle's Pinterest Board on Energy Information Design

PS: Many thanks to Lester Shen for showing the way. All his Boards are excellent, particularly his Useful energy iPhone/iPad apps.

Views: 1072

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Peter,

I had no idea how Pinterest "worked"

My Favorites Menu is out of control... this will be far more useful for organizing and sharing

Your "board" has loads of good "stuff" too

Peter,

Just like you, I've come to appreciate Pinterest a great deal.

To me, it's not only a great way to post and disseminate images, but it's also another great SEO opportunity. For example, whenever I publish a new blog posting, I first use the usual channels to publicize it: FB, Twitter, and Google Plus. Then, over the course of the next few days, I'll periodically pin an image from my blog post (which, of course, contains a back-link to my posting), and I'll tweet the pin, at the same time. I've found that this keeps interest up without inundating folks with the same boring old tweet about my recent blog post.

Often, twitter followers who might otherwise ignore a tweet comprised of just text and a shortened link seem to show much more interest in a tweeted Pinterest image, and will retweet or even re-pin it.

The pinned images on my boards also get picked up by folks on Pinterest who otherwise would have no knowledge of my blog or twitter stream. Not that all these folks are necessarily in my target audience, but all readers are welcomed, and I think as Pinterest gains in popularity, more of my target audience will eventually get there. Bottom line is: I think Pinterest is a great resource, and we ought to put it to good use and promote it as much as possible. Your Energy Information Design board is a great example of the value Pinterest can provide to the home performance community.

~John

We have begun to look at Pinterest also. So thanks for the ideas. John P, I especially like the idea of pinning pics w/links from blogs.

What a busy world!

John, We're following you! And Sean Lintow too!

I gave Pinterest a try

for now I just grabbed some links from my favorites menu

I think it will be easy to add "Pins" on the fly now as I stumble on things of interest

http://pinterest.com/johnkbrooks/physics-high-performance-home-design/

From Huff Post, Pinterest gaining interest: http://huff.to/J2nefd

Looks great, now only if I understood how to use Pinterest! Seems like it would be pretty helpful for accumulating a wide range of other things as well. Thanks for opening my eyes!

Furnace Company Detroit

I think we need a Pinterest group! I'll start one and invite everyone to post links to their Energy pages.

Thanks for the inspiration Peter!

USGBC has some cool Pinterest boards. Check out this one: USGBC loves homes

There is a lot of interest on Pinterest in energy efficient homes. A keyword search on energy efficient home brings up lots of links to great articles. Some of the photos link to case studies. Check them out!

Thanks, Peter, for the HT. I've been playing with Pinterest for a while and treat it like a visual bookmarking tool. Here's a blog post I wrote about Pinterest for our CEE blog, i.e.:

http://mncee.org/Innovation-Exchange/ie/April-2012/Tracking-the-Loo...

I am LOVING Pinterest, fairly new to it, but do have a couple boards started for Social Media and Energy Topics.

http://pinterest.com/tracylynnbrune/energy-effeciency/

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, While it's true I did some of the finish work myself, I also acted as my own…"
2 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Thank you Linda for your response; and your generosity in sharing your suggestion and hope. I…"
2 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Wow...thank you so much for your response Alice! I really appreciate it. It is simply amazing all…"
2 hours ago
Tom White's 3 videos were featured
2 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured
2 hours ago
Sharon Block's 3 events were featured
2 hours ago
Tom White posted videos
3 hours ago
Linda Wigington replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Kaushal I just spent more than an hour on a detailed response and lost when I decided to check the…"
3 hours ago
Sharon Block posted events
3 hours ago
Alice La Pierre replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hello Kaushal, I understand your predicament, as I also have a house in Berkeley that I wanted to…"
3 hours ago
"Thanks Graham for that. It was also my belief that the cost difference between remodeling and doing…"
5 hours ago
"Thanks Jim! I'll be sure to check that out."
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service