Is any one familiar with the Peak Energy Saver from www.peakenergytech.com  The unit is intended to store energy from motors used in the home and then supply the stored energy back to the home, thus reducing consumption.  Clames to reduce energy consumption between 10% and 25%.   Fact or Fiction, does any one know?   

Thanks PJ Stevens 

Views: 761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Bob.  This providing me a quick uptake on the whole issue...greatly appreciated!

You're welcome Fred. Good luck to you.

Power factor correction is old, well established technnlogy which is widely used across industry and larger electricity power users. However this technology is used to reduce wasted power measuured as Kvar to bring KVA closer to KW and is not well known industry wide to be used for the above application. Further information can be seen at http://www.streamline-power.com/power_factor_correction.html
Therefore there would need to be authoritative offical independent research conducted for reliable information.

Power Factor Correction is ONLY worth considering for electricity users who are penalized (billed) for inadequate power factor by the utility. All others are billed for kW, not KVA, so it is a complete waste of money for all others to fall prey to scammers hawking power factor correction devices to homeowners and typical commercial customers.

Unfortuantely that is not the whole picture. Granted billing is in KW however improving power factor in an industrial/commercial environment will have a saving as motors will now be operating optimally hence be more efficent so last longer with less maintenance.

Because also KVA is closer to KW then any voltage optimisiation equipment will also make more savings.

Horsefeathers!

Improving a building or plant's power factor does NOTHING for individual motors. I sincerely hope you are not hawking your views for personal gain.

I like your phrase horsefeathers though here in the UK we may say rockin' horse dung!.... joking aside though I can only vouch for how industrial 3phase sites are billed here, the US may be different billing. So installing PFC equipment will (a) reduce the Kvar known as the reactive charge (b) potentially reduce the availability or capacity charge and (c) reduce the load on the transformer, the I2R losses or load losses. Potentially also reduce line losses but that will depend where the capacitors are placed.

Well, I work with the conservation guys at a big local electric utility. One of them told me, by way of agreeing that residential power factor correction is a complete scam, that out of their 400,000 (yes - four hundred thousand) electric customers, only FOUR are on power factor billing.

I imagine those four are large industrial sites, such as paper mills, with access to engineers to evaluate and implement alternatives.

4 out of 400K? All 4 are most likely large industrial customers with 3 phase power. There is absolutely no reason for any residential customer to be concerned about this. I've never seen/heard of any time of PF charge on single phase power.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Christopher Morin's blog post was featured

5 Things New Energy Efficiency HVAC Contractors Need to Know

1. Do not sell on Price! Use 'Simple Payback'The price of High-efficient equipment will undoubtedly…See More
14 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured
14 hours ago
Profile IconDan Liska and Rob Moreno joined Home Energy Pros
14 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan posted a blog post
17 hours ago
Kim Tanner commented on Diane Chojnowski's group Home Energy Pros on Twitter
"Follow The Energy Conservatory on Twitter! We'll follow…"
20 hours ago
Kim Tanner joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Home Energy Pros on Twitter

We've created a twitter list of members of Home Energy Pros who tweet!See More
20 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Kaushal Bharath Raju's discussion Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.
"Hi Kaushal, First step is to understand where you are in terms of energy costs.  If current…"
23 hours ago
Kaushal Bharath Raju posted a discussion

Affordability & Deep Energy Upgrade/Passive House Retrofit in Berkeley, California.

We have a small 1940s single level house (1005sqf) in Berkeley, California that is in need of a…See More
yesterday
Christopher Morin posted a blog post

5 Things New Energy Efficiency HVAC Contractors Need to Know

1. Do not sell on Price! Use 'Simple Payback'The price of High-efficient equipment will undoubtedly…See More
yesterday
David Eggleton commented on David Eggleton's group Considering Permaculture &/or Transition
"In August 2014, in Minnesota, there's another unprecedented opportunity to meet and mix with a…"
yesterday
Glen Gallo commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Energy Upgrade California—Up Close and Personal
"Nate, RE: Duct test On my own home and a rental I have tested more than once over the last many…"
yesterday
Profile Iconangela hines and Charles Goldman joined Home Energy Pros
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service