A "National" Certification Mill Expelled by BPI

BPI's requirement of Video taping proctored tests appears to have scored if not its first, but its Biggest Culprit. A well known, if not respected, National Training Mill has lost its BPI Test Center Status. Why?, ... well that is obvious to any legitimate Test Center. The Fly In / Fly Out method of "Training" does not stand up to scrutiny. I hope that more group members that are 'In the Know" are more willing in the future, to comment on similar examples of training fraud & failure. Only by shining the light on such Training Mills will our industry ever rid itself of such Charletan's.

Tags: Analyst, BPI, Building, Center, Test, Training

Views: 1534

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

& now Clean Edisons (was posted on Linked In & now it's gone(?):

As the CEO of CleanEdison, I want to shed some light on this forum's discussion. It is correct that as of August 31, 2012, CleanEdison will not continue as a BPI Testing Center. CleanEdison is first and foremost a training organization, and has elected to pursue an advanced training accreditation to ensure the highest quality training and certification services to our students. This move requires CleanEdison to separate its training and testing programs for quality assurance purposes.

Going forward, CleanEdison has partnered with local testing centers around the country, which will provide testing services to future CleanEdison students. We expect this to increase the quality of CleanEdison's trainings, which while preparing students for BPI Certification, will concentrate, first and foremost, on producing qualified, work-ready energy auditors.

We appreciate any and all questions, comments and feedback. Please do not hesitate to reach out to CleanEdison Operations at 646-723-4524 and we will be happy to answer any questions or concerns directly.

- Avi Yashchin, Founder and CEO

Yes, a very interesting choice of wording.  He uses the word "elected", ...while BPI uses the word "Terminated". I too found it odd that this post was removed so quickly. Hmmmm!? 

Congrats to BPI on upping the game. Which company is it that got booted? Send me a email if you don't want to go public with the info.I'm super curious to know what certification mill got booted. Thanks 

Leslie McDowell wrote on Linkedin

"It’s important to note that all training organizations that offer classes to prepare for BPI exams offer them independently of BPI, so BPI’s decisions regarding its relationship with proctors and test centers have no bearing on training in the marketplace".

Why does CleanEdisons website state BPI approved training? No bearing on training in the marketplace? Please explain this statement Leslie. If I were looking for training I would assume CleanEdison had a direct relationship with BPI. After all BPI "approved training" appears to be direct. Am I missing something?

As a BPI certified proctor and an accepted trainer perhaps, I can shed some light on the relationships. Training provided for BPI certification must have an approved curriculum. While BPI does not use the label "approved" on either trainers or curricula, you had better believe they have reviewed the documents for both and found them either acceptable or not acceptable. To be acceptable they must address the core competencies established by BPI. Curriculum developed and used by CleanEdison has been found acceptable to BPI, otherwise, you would not see it offered as such. I can personally attest to that process.

Not long ago, a trainer and proctor could be the same individual, and generally worked for an organization with a test facility. In this case, there was a direct link between instructor, proctor, training organization, and BPI. Furthermore, proctors reported both to their training organization and to BPI. While this continues to be the case with MFBA, it is no longer the case with certifications that have field testing "in the field" as opposed to "on-line".

This year particularly, BPI has undergone a major transition in its relationship to all previous “partners”. BPI has always had a hands-off relationship regarding the activities of trainers and it had a very clear connection to proctors and what was once called "Affiliates". The title Affiliate is no longer used, but was initially the entity that connected all the spokes to the wheel. It has, in some part, evolved into the Test Centers. In most cases, I believe this separation makes sense and introduces a level of security into the certification process. It also helps to remove any conflict of interest in the testing process and management of certifications and standards, which is BPI's main focus.

Regarding CleanEdison's connection with BPI and their qualifications as instructors or providers of training, they still have a relationship and will continue to do so as long as they continue to offer training that leads to BPI certification. The decision, either way, for CleanEdison to remain a Test Center is an irrelevant issue. It neither reflects on the quality of their curricula or their instructors. In fact, having met many of their instructors I say they are top notch with a wealth of experience behind them and a universal commitment to ensuring that students are empowered and successful.

Referring back to the original issue that started this chain I challenge the terms "Training Mill" and "Certification Mill". So which activity causes you grief? If you are assuming that training on a national level somehow discredits the quality of the education, then you haven't been to a large university. That's education on a large scale. There is no evidence the education at the adult level is better at a smaller institution than a larger one. The same applies to a private organization. So what is the problem with Clean Edison's Training? If you are really unhappy with the number of certifications that CleanEdison is able to engender, I would argue that they have a record of selecting qualified students who are able to pass the certification exams as opposed to organizations who are less selective. Having worked with a number of different organizations, public and private, I know that when my students have a background in the industry and are motivated to succeed, I have higher pass rates.

I thought we were in this together to better educate the consumer, improve the quality of the service provider and our industry as a whole, and reduce fossil fuel consumption.  So perhaps, you can explain to me what I'm missing?

Hello all, As a BPI proctor in four certifications I have seen a frightening lack of hands on auditing skills for people seeking recertification in BA, Envelope, and Heating. As a matter of course I do not ask my recertification candidates where they received their initial certification until after the recert test is completed. Generally their answer is one of many certifications mills (both public and private) that we love to hate.As the director of training for a mid size EE retrofit training center and a trainer for one BPI certification I know that quality training hinges on small class size and a well equipped training space. A 6 student to 1 trainer ratio is best, this allows students to really get the "hands on" knowledge they need to successfully challenge the field test.In regards to training labs, multiple furnaces and boilers, a full size training house,an air sealing and insulation lab make for a better training enviroment. So far I've seen few "certification mill" training providers invest in training spaces. They rather train on the cheap. I've seen some training providers with class sizes of up to twenty students or more,training in students houses with less than optimal conditions. I've heard horror stories from former trainees of these certification mills. Again I congratulate BPI for upping the game.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Richard Beyer replied to Marc Tannenbaum's discussion Industry Veteran Michelle Knaszak Joins Dr. Energy Saver
"That's great news Mr. Tannenbaum! Aside from increasing your financial volume, who is…"
8 hours ago
Bob Blanchette replied to Bud Poll's discussion Basing air exchange on house volume??
"We do have exhaust only around here if you are referring to fart fans in bathrooms."
13 hours ago
Sean Lintow Sr replied to Bud Poll's discussion Basing air exchange on house volume??
"They can be found almost everywhere, it just depends on the contractor or individual in question as…"
15 hours ago
Steven Lewis replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion How does Cycles Per Hour affect real world AFUE?
"In my opinion you are trying to get very detailed about equipment that is designed to perform in a…"
yesterday
Brad Brenner posted a blog post
yesterday
Bob Blanchette commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting 24-month update 18,240 hours & counting
"I'm also in the process of upgrading from CFL to LED. Energy cost difference gets "lost…"
yesterday
Bob Blanchette commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting 24-month update 18,240 hours & counting
"A couple questions on your power bills:1: All-Electric house or gas heat/water…"
yesterday
Bob Blanchette replied to Bud Poll's discussion Basing air exchange on house volume??
"Where to you live that has all these air exchangers. I have NEVER seen one installed in a house.…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service