Hi Everyone,

Just caught this from one of my RSS feeds.  Not sure how old the story is:

http://www.thermalimagingscan.com/energy-audit-weatherization-failu...

Here's a direct link to the video you'll find embedded on the above page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0buwmY6-eRc

Posting it here, though, to see if anyone has more to this.  We all know how the media can be sometimes and I wanted to check if we're getting the whole story.  Anyone from the Nashville area or has connections to the program there care to comment? 

Thank you.

Matt Schwoegler

Views: 589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi William, Thank you for the PDF.  Appreciate your help.

You know this topic actually makes me sick."its not what we dont know..its what we know for sure that gets us in trouble"

Matt, if you hadn't caused emotional response, would we ever have gotten informative responses from William and Don?  Doubtful.  Now we know some programs are tracking, even though it seems somewhat buried.  

So in the weatherization/not-for-profit side tracking studies are performed and assumedly implementer's receive this information so they can adjust their behavior.  Not clear is if there are "Promises" made to clients.  

Furthermore, people receiving free prescriptive improvements are a completely different market than people who have to decided what improvements they want, and pay for them.  Not sure weatherization folks get how different it is when improvements actually have to be sold. 

In the for profit side results disconnect is complete, at least from what I've seen.  Guys at the helm may know actual to promised metrics but they aren't openly sharing it with us.  

Keep fanning the flames.  

Results transparency will cause contractor and homeowner interests to become aligned.  It will create a whole new metric upon which contractors will compete for supremacy, energy savings accuracy.  Delivering on promise.  (Transparency must occur before contractors can have accountability, blaming us for poor results on a metric nobody was tracking is absurd.)

Folks may be interested in this recent post on the WAPTAC blog:

"GAO Releases Study that WAP On Track"

http://www.waptac.org/Blog/

Also, there's been a national evaluation of weatherization going on over the last year or more.  We expect that very soon reports will begin to come out of the National Retrospective Evaluation of the Weatherization Assistance Program, which is a grand, nationwide effort to measure, track, and analyze the low income weatherization program in all the states:

http://weatherization.ornl.gov/evaluation_nr.shtml

Barbara, thanks for the link.  Be careful getting excited about "Press Releases," there is usually a lot of makeup hiding the wrinkles.  Please let us know when the report follows.  

Interesting to me is the outline of 4 goals, then claim of dramatic success referencing "exceeding" goal 1.  What I want to know always is the economics of savings.  How much was the budget to save $1 in energy, and how much was spent to save $1 in energy.  I want to see the numbers for goal 3:

(3) the extent to which the weatherization program under the Recovery Act has achieved its energy and cost savings goals

People getting free "improvements" don't care if the improvement saves every penny promised, any improvement for free is a good improvement to them.   If they save 25% of what they were supposed to save that's a win.  But if the program can only deliver 25% on promise, isn't that an overall loser?  

Sure, you can create a lot of jobs, send people out to a lot of homes, and claim they've been weatherized, but without answering number 3 you don't know if the exercise was effective.  

Looks like the story is about 1 year old. The only followup story I found was last March.  The Tennessee Comptroller's office investgated the weatherization program and wrote about it in their June 2010 audit report.  This was before the aforementioned news story.  I found no information since then.  I guess we wait for the national evaluation report.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Sean Lintow Sr replied to Bud Poll's discussion Basing air exchange on house volume??
"Sorry Bud but I think you need to clarify your issues with using volumes to calculate ACH As for…"
6 hours ago
Profile IconWes Anderson, Jean-Paul and Bryan joined Home Energy Pros
Friday
Dennis Heidner commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting 24-month update 18,240 hours & counting
"Dale, good write up. For the landscaping bulbs,  if they had been T3 12V wedge bulbs,  I…"
Friday
Brett Little commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

The Future of Housing - And How Airtightness Can Help

"It's very true! So many people and contractors have tons of insulated attics but no air seal…"
Thursday
Chris Leach replied to Richard Beyer's discussion "The Dangers of Using Spray Foam Insulation"
"The problems will surface soon enough . Why don't we take a second look at this over rated…"
Thursday
Don Fitchett commented on Tom White's video
Thursday
tedkidd replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion How does Cycles Per Hour affect real world AFUE?
"Want to spot a simpleton? It's a guy who thinks EE and comfort are disconnected.  Want…"
Thursday
tedkidd commented on Tom White's blog post Clean Energy Works Oregon: Total Home Performance
"Nice post Tom! I really like how he puts that. Leveraging interests so they can optimize…"
Thursday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service