Hello All,

We are working on a project with Habitat and our trying to provide recommendations for ventilation. We would like to see them install a Spot ERV like Panasonic's Whisper Comfort, but the small (<1,500sf) home (4 bdr) requires just over 50cfm fresh air. The Panasonic can only provide 40cfm continuous and installing two brings the incremental cost over an air cycler strategy or supply ventilation strategy too far off budget.

Does anyone have any experience / recommendations for how to best address this situation?

We are in Climate Zone 4, in Middle Tennessee, mixed-humid.

Thanks for any information!

Stefan

Tags: 62.2, ERV, ashrae, ventilation

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Buy a larger one & use a timer - trust me when I say you do not want them running 24x7, especially in a humid enviroment

Sean, help a cold-climate guy out here... what's the issue with humidity and 24/7 run-time?

The humidity inside rises to much & in small houses where the AC unit is oversized because we cant buy a small enough unit...

There are a couple of pretty nifty choices from Venmar.  The Kubix unit comes in either an HRV or ERV version.  It uses 60 watts, 77% Apparent Sensible Effectiveness (ASE).  It's like a 16" cube using 4" ducting.  A more energy efficient alternative is the EKO version.  The ERV version is 73% ASE.  It uses between 26 and 37 watts with flows up to 84 cfm.  It doesn't require a drain in the ERV version.

These are not ceiling mounted units like the Panasonic, but I think getting the supplies and exhausts separated is a better way to go if possible.

I also work with Habitat and like yours, our houses have oversized units because of the extreme tightness, low UA numbers and limitations on ASHP systems.  We use a cycle timer and motorized damper for supply air ventilation. We are also considering ERV/HRV but before choosing and ERV I would have to ask if the manufacturer  can supply a certification that the latent energy (water) recovery does not include any VOC, airborne pathogens or aerosols from toilets. My request to Venmar got circled back to our sales rep who was unsure if such a certification was required.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Kurt Shafer replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Reading the Invisco description you will find that it is designed to be surrounded by cellulose to…"
10 hours ago
Glen Gallo replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Kurt, I think cost of operation is always a factor but I am not sure I would leave it just cfm.…"
10 hours ago

Paul DelVaglio just added their location.
(via Member Map)

12 hours ago
Paul DelVaglio posted a photo
12 hours ago
reflintorm replied to Jamie Kaye's discussion Flickering LED lights
"I think, Better to replace the dimmer switch if it is not recovered then once go through the…"
16 hours ago
Kurt Shafer replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Glen,  You are the first person who has ever told me they prefer lower CFM. What you left out…"
yesterday
Glen Gallo replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Tamarack has lower CFM than typical fans and has a insulated lid that automatically closes when fan…"
yesterday
Tom Conlon's discussion was featured

Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?

I just searched this forum for "Whole House Fan", but I didn't find much about them (except …See More
yesterday
Tom White shared Brandon Walton's blog post on Twitter
yesterday
Brandon Walton's blog post was featured

12 Things Every Home Performance Contractor Should Have on Their Work Truck

Every home is unique and differs from the last. It would be a perfect world (from a project…See More
yesterday
Griffin Hagle replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
yesterday
Griffin Hagle replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Kurt, Whoops, looks like I got my links mixed up. Thanks for pointing that out. Here's the…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service