I am working, doing audits, with a contractor who tends to make basements, crawlspaces into conditioned space. Especially when all or most of the duct work is in the crawlspace. He does this by covering the floor, side walls and piers with heavy plastic. He then uses rigid foam insulation on the walls, foams the joints and above and seals the vents and access hatches. Then we duct seal and re-insulate.

Has anyone been doing this for a while? Any unentended consquences?

Views: 8981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Be sure plastic is protected from mechanical damage by any future workers or residents accessing crawl space

Be sure to leave exposed strip for termite inspection. If termite bond is in place, be sure they are on board with details of the project - termites can tunnel, unnoticed through foam.

Beware radon

Monitor humidity

The above may sound as if I don't favor sealing crawl spaces, but in fact I do.

RSS

Forum Discussions

When is it too windy to use blower door?

Started by Brandon Walton in General Forum. Last reply by tom atwood 1 hour ago. 13 Replies

Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF)

Started by Barry L NewDelman in General Forum. Last reply by Jonathan Beers 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Affordable Housing Funding

Started by SUZETT MOFFITT in General Forum. Last reply by John Nicholas 3 hours ago. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

tom atwood replied to Brandon Walton's discussion When is it too windy to use blower door?
"Hi John, A1 is spot on. I have done hundreds of tests here in Maine and have gotten different…"
1 hour ago
Jonathan Beers replied to Barry L NewDelman's discussion Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF)
"EMF is one of the most-researched topics in the history of public health. The World Health…"
1 hour ago
Home Energy Magazine posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Home Energy Magazine posted a video
1 hour ago

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service