It seems fishy that Phil Jeffers seems to have been erased from this site. For those of you who have been members for a while you will know who Phil is. Like him or hate him, Phil always had something to say. Eveyrtime I saw a post with Phil's name in a response it was the first one I went to.

Hopefully Phil just got drug off to the loony bin, but if he has been erased by the powers who run this site it would be a great injustice to all of us. You didn't have to agree with Phil and most didn't but he sure  made you think about how you do things. To the powers at hand on this site I for one would like to know why there is no trace of Phil or his comments

Views: 853

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Ed,

If you don't know how to reach Phil, use google or contact me.

David-------------My concern is that Phil has been erased from this site for his opinions. If this is the case we should all be concerned. .

We should be concerned. If we have to "watch what we say"then there is a freedom of speech problem with this site. While allowing free advertisement for "training" (for jobs that are not there) but not free speech this site is beginning to lose credibility in my eyes. Put Phil Jeffers opinions back up. Silencing those who have different opinions is not the way to run a site. Even if I don't agree with someones opinion I will hear them out. Is censorship what Americans want? I do not

Ed, Randy,

I'm not concerned.  I moderate on another forums where there is a level of communications that goes on out of view of the general membership and I get to see the behind the scene efforts that take place when some action is needed.  What happened here I can only guess, but if Phil did get removed I trust it was for just cause or his own request and most likely it wouldn't be discussed on the forum.  Send Diane Chojnowski a message and simply ask.  If she has any information she can share I'm sure she will.  But rest easy, I'm sure our rights to non-offensive free speech are still intact.  For totally free speech, we would have to open our own forum :).

Bud

As Bud says----------how about it Diane

Ed & Randy,

Bud is right, a lot goes on behind the scenes when moderating a forum. Here are some of our moderation principles:

The purpose of Home Energy Pros is to provide a space for home performance pros to share resources, ideas and knowledge related to home energy efficiency. When a member joins the community, they agree to the Terms of Service and to the Guidelines for posting in order to keep the conversation relevant, civil and on a professional level.

Moderation of a community like this is usually pretty straightforward. We have Guidelines posted and every now and then someone strays outside them. Usually this is caused by a simple misunderstanding of the Guidelines. A moderator will then contact the member to help them understand the rules. In almost every case, members are very understanding and accommodate our request to remove a commercial solicitation or a post that didn’t fit the Guidelines. Our members are almost always cooperative and quite congenial.

HEP members occasionally ask that we play more of a moderation role in the discussions in our community. The suggestions are made in reference to statements they perceive as technically inaccurate, misleading or disrespectful to other members. We review each such request in context with the Guidelines.

Moderators don’t remove posts that conform to the Guidelines. However, if a specific post is removed for not conforming to the Guidelines, the associated comments will no longer appear. Very rarely, a member will disregard the Guidelines and the moderator's requests and re-post content that has been removed. When this happens, the member will be suspended. We do not remove their other posts, but they are given the option to remove their content from the site and sometimes they will.

We invite members to review the Guidelines and suggest ways to enhance them to make this forum a valuable resource for home energy professionals.

Diane

hi Diane i thank you for the explanation. This site could be a valuable tool for our industry but it seems more like one big training advertisement. there is a section for training. why is it all the "events" listed are actually advertisements for promoting peoples businesses (training). It would be refreshing to see an event listed like Bar-B-Que, bring a side dish or meeting to discuss ........anything without a fee. A simple observation

Randy

Randy,

We'd be very happy to see more webinars, conferences, regional meetings and other events posted in the Events section. Every now and then we nudge people to post their events and I'll put a reminder in an upcoming email. If you know of any you'd like to see promoted here, please feel free to add them.

Thanks,

Diane

My question is why is this considered an "event" when it is a solicitation to purchase their services? If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck it is a duck. These are advertisements for training. Plain and simple

Randy

Gimme a break. Phil posted a mostly-irrelevant political rant, it was removed, then he reposted it. IMO he did a poor job of presenting his views and a great job of coming across as abrasive and obnoxious. Too bad, because someone with taste and restraint could easily have presented the same ideas in a non-offensive manner that could have engaged others in discussion without degrading the forum and alienating current and potential members. Kudos to the moderators for recognizing this and acting. I seriously doubt they were censoring his ideas, just objecting to his poor manners.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

peter chang replied to peter chang's discussion Programmable tstat for electric baseboard?
"Yes, in fact I did just that for my kitchen toe-kick heater because the original thermostat was on…"
2 hours ago
Bob Blanchette replied to peter chang's discussion Programmable tstat for electric baseboard?
"Savings depends a LOT on how it's programmed. I've even done a setup with a contactor,…"
8 hours ago
Bob Blanchette replied to Hal Skinner's discussion Any success getting landlords to energy upgrade a single family rental unit?
"Sell utility subsidized services to the tenants. It has to pay back within a year though."
8 hours ago
Tom Mallard replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"Thx, Robert. Being a PNWester where crawl spaces are moist or wet seasonally & some sites never…"
12 hours ago
Hal Skinner added a discussion to the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
12 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"I can only speak for the one I have worked with over t6he years.  We have a certification for…"
12 hours ago
Chad Mcaulife replied to Chad Mcaulife's discussion BPI QCI Cert.
"Thanks for the reponses.  I have a 40 hr class staring 12-8-2014 which should prepare me for…"
12 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"Hi George, I can see where this could be a HUGE issue in Canada.   We spray our RCC directly…"
14 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service