Our local utility is offering a $350 energy audit' for $50. I've done some reading on here and already have fixed some issues with my 1600 sq ft house built in 2000. Combined gas/electric bill currently averages about $150/mo for a family of 4. I do not own a thermal imaging gun or a blower door, would it be worth the $50 to have them come do the blower door/thermal imaging?

http://www.ogepet.com/programs/home-energy-efficiency-program.aspx

Views: 1006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For $50 I would say it is worth it. They will probably find some "hidden" issues,  Just ask what their solutions would be for problems they uncover.

They don't specifically say blower door and/or thermal imaging, just that they do leakage tests. Before I shell out my $50 I'll make sure at least one of them is included.

Blower door and IR are great but no use to you unless you either (a) spend the entire time with the technician and learn where/what all the fixes are, or (b) get a detailed report that shows you where/what to do. When I do these inspections for homeowners I provide a written report with detailed instructions, visible and IR images... a roadmap for whoever does the work. Without it, the only person who learns anything is the auditor.

Of course I'd have to schedule it for my day off so i could see what needed done.

For 50 bucks I do not see how you could go wrong. Just out of curiosities sake alone it should  be  worth it. With 30 bucks worth of weather stripping and the other goodies it looks to be free.

I like the fact that this is delivered it show they want more than data and desire action

If you go through with it please post what they did and how and ul whether you thought it was worth the money

Make sure you either get a report or make note of your blower door CFM50 number.  It's your houses cholesterol number.  It is a really important baseline number to have.  

Hopefully they will also calculate what the building airflow standard is for your home so you'll have a reference point for your number.  

The above information is definitely worth $50, and I'd bet you get a lot more if the program is kicking in the other $300. 

Just heard from the auditor, they don't have thermal imaging cameras or blower doors. OGE is doing the audit for free with a special promotion, so I have nothing to loose at this point.. He's coming out Thursday morning, hopefully he'll find something I missed.

Although I do not believe you will receive a full comprehensive audit for $50, if they truly do use the infrared camera in conjunction with the blower door, it's worth it.  The amount of air leakage that will most likely be found and repaired will offset the $50 many fold.

Just had "audit" done, glad I didn't pay $50 for it. No tempature gun, No blower Door, those are "Level 2 audits" done by a different subcontractor for an extra charge (he didn't know how much) . He said he lived in a neighborhood not too far away from mine and his house was a little newer and 200sq ft bigger. Asked him about his useage and he said he didn't know, his wife paid the utility bills.. He wasn't aware that OG+E smarthours even existed, much less how it works. He's an OG+E customer, and can't believe he hasn't seen the ads on TV. They put notices about smarthours in our bills, but I suppose since his wife pays it he doesn't know/care. He mentioned the OGE smartmeter website, although he states hes never been on it. He offered no opinions of his own, he just mentioned the things they learned in training.The guy appeared to be about 60 or so, didn't seem like he was new to the job. Seems odd that somebody who does audits for a living would be out of touch with their own use, even if they aren't the one paying the bill directly..

One positive thing is he did find where the seam between the drywall and window frames could use some caulking. He mentioned windows had some leakage also due to being builder grade. No mention on how much leakage I'm getting from either source, he said only a blower door could tell that. Doesn't look like there is much to qualifiing for his position, perhaps I should apply for a job there and work my way up over time.

Bob, thanks for following up!

Sounds like a colossal waste of time and energy!  Paying people to run around and suggest caulking seams that may or may not be leaking.  

And that queers people from having they type of audit we perform, because after all, they've had an audit...

I suppose if somebody has some really bad issues that could be eyeballed, he would catch those. He did mention getting the duct work checked, but that wasn't his department either. He climbed the attic stairs to check insulation/ventilation but did no go in the attic. He was here for a total of about 1hr, including consultation...

Later when I get the time I'll have to call OGE back to inquire about the "level 2 audit" to see what it entails.

Here in Ohio, Columbia Gas is offering full comprehensive audits for $50 that include, combustion testing, blower door and IR scan.  I am performing these audits and it is definitely worth the customers money for them.  We even leave a list of contractors that are approved for the program to do any of the work recommended.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Profile IconSara Sabol, Christopher Talarico and Aaren Stewart joined Home Energy Pros
2 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Andy Gostisha's discussion Disguising Ductless Heat Pump Units
"Hi Andy. The bare metal units on a roof stick out like a sore thumb .  Coating them with our…"
2 hours ago
Paul Morin replied to Stephen Standley's discussion Which reading is more reliable on a Minneapolis Duct Blaster?
"Sorry for chiming in so late.  Sean’s comment early on in the discussion was the closest…"
5 hours ago
jerry gentile posted a status
"hello- anyone challenge the written QCI exam?"
8 hours ago
Kevin Jordan posted photos
13 hours ago
Susan E. Buchan's event was featured

EEBA Excellence in Building Conference at Doubletree Union Station Hotel

September 23, 2014 at 8am to September 25, 2014 at 2pm
yesterday
Susan E. Buchan posted an event

EEBA Excellence in Building Conference at Doubletree Union Station Hotel

September 23, 2014 at 8am to September 25, 2014 at 2pm
yesterday
Rem Husted replied to Andy Gostisha's discussion Disguising Ductless Heat Pump Units
"I think most consumers wouldn't want a big box called a refrigerator or a stove or…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service