It’s no secret that home performance is a male-dominated industry. Attend any industry conference and you’ll quickly see that women are vastly outnumbered. That being said, there are still women in the industry—and those women certainly hold their own. As the assistant editor for Home Energy magazine, I too can claim to be a woman in home performance. Yes, a lot of my experience comes from being on the sidelines, but I do make it a point to visit job sites occasionally and see actual installation work being done.

Nearly two years ago, I attended a regional ACI event in Sacramento and sat in a room where the Women in Home Performance initiative was in its infancy. The leaders of the discussion asked the women, and men, in the room why they had decided to attend a meeting about women in home performance. The answers given weren’t surprising; they included to find support, to make sure women have a place at the table, to network, to receive nurturing, and to share stories.

In my opinion, it’s the storytelling among women in our industry that harnesses the most power to encourage and support us. The more we share with one another, the more we can learn from one another, and the better we can all become at what we do.

With that in mind, I set out to discover what the most common gender-specific obstacles to jobs in home performance were by asking women to describe the biggest obstacles they have faced since they entered the field.

Women and men: What gender-specific obstacles have you seen or experienced in your home performance careers?

This forum question is an excerpt from a recent Home Energy magazine article, “Let’s Talk Gender: What Women Bring to Home Performance” by Macie Melendez. You can read the article in full, with a subscription, on HomeEnergy.org.

Tags: career, gender, home, in, obstacles, performance, women

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ACI has a webpage for their Women in Home Performance initiative: http://www.affordablecomfort.org/women

Hello Diane,
This is what I continue to observe transitioning from engineering to home science: in general, the less qualified men push out the more qualified women by using typical classroom tactics.
Interruption, acting like they're omniscient when they're not, seizing the floor time, the list is endless. Lately this has also been found to be true in high tech! The males push out the females, and this behavior is supported by the female bosses. I expect this observation to not change much during my lifetime.

I recently was working on a project, dominated by men, in which one woman was a contributor. Now, I'm not privy to all the details, but at some point, I noticed that the email string no longer included her. I brought this up casually by email, and there was basically no response. Now this could have nothing to do with gender bias or such issues, but it certainly set off alarms in my head. As a father to an amazing daughter and husband to a terrifically talented and intelligent wife, I want them to be at the table in all fields. As Tom pointed out, I think one of the biggest issues is unexamined privilege on the part of most men, who do not understand the issues that women often face, particularly when outnumbered and bullied.

Another thing that bothered me recently was at the ACI 2014 National Home performance conference in Detroit. In the large session where the merits of 62.2 were being debated, one of the panel (I won't mention who) began with a sexist joke, which drew many guffaws from the audience. Not only do I wish these "jokes" weren't being made, I also wish that we were not reinforcing them with raucous laughter. I know for a fact that one of my women friends in home performance, both expected a sexually inappropriate joke from this guy and was, of course, offended.    

Ally in Home Performance

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner added a discussion to the group The RCC Classroom (Radiant Control Coatings)
Thumbnail

Improved acoustics

Some RCCs claim to improve acoustics .  Here are a few examples of ours.…See More
17 hours ago
Patrick Carter replied to Patrick Carter's discussion Minneapolis Blower Door & Test Equipment for Sale! in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"As of yesterday 09/19/2014, the equipment has been sold..."
yesterday
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Mornin Brett. 90 to 85, yes a slight variance there.  Same ASTM test, different scientists,…"
Friday
Bret Curry replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Great information Hal. It appears the thermal emissivity in your test was .85 rather than .90. Are…"
Friday
Juan Roca commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting - Garage Door opener interference
"Hi,There is a real problem with remote controls and LED lights. However, there is a solution in the…"
Friday
Profile IconJuan Roca and Elizabeth Coe joined Home Energy Pros
Thursday
Casey Gesell posted videos
Thursday
Gerald Shechter posted videos
Thursday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service