There are occasions to point out a good cache of knowledge - or information - this relates to the task of buying LED lights for your home or office -This is the right time for a multiple product capsule review, after all hundreds(thousands) of folks will be switching to SSL soon.

So if ya want the information LEDsmagazine has a look at a group of lights with a short description- and evaluation of these A-19 LED products -its the recent Febuary 2013 issue -the article is" Varying approaches to LED retrofit lamps show no limits"

These are not overly technical - which helps - they are in a bona fide "good source" for credible LED news, ( I found the reviews helpful) and these are a nice "new" cross section of shelve ready products.  The newsworthy part is the  different approaches, topologies and which iteration of components are used in 'em. These might put pre purchase considerations on to peoples radar screens-

The last thing we in the SSL industry want is consumer dissatisfaction because they did not know what they wanted or needed- or because they fell for some unqualified- BS performance claims. An increase in objective fact based performance evaluations of products helps LED lighting producers get their products in to all those sockets - eagerly awaiting "modern lighting". Educating people about LED lighting is my main objective these days. Thanks to LEDs magazine for aggregating & providing the content, I hope some of you benefit from it !

[Editor's Note: thanks to Ben Stallings reply below for locating the link: http://ledsmagazine.com/features/10/2/7 ]

Views: 1202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I created this post on What is the best A19 LED bulb (it uses dynamic pricing from Amazon for the price comparison) but wrote it before the new Cree LED bulb available at Home Depot came out, and that blows them all away. 

LEDs are finally making sense for the residential consumer.

And for the commenter below who says LEDs are not ready for the commercial world, that's not so true anymore.  If you can combine the LED fixture with intelligent lighting control, you can take advantage of them in ways you cant with T8/T5. Also, the lumen/watt of LED may not be that much better than T8/T5, but the fixture efficiency of LED is better than T8/T5.  And dont get me started on high bay lighting, as LED is far superior and the maintenance costs are much lower than T8/T5.  But hey, I can sell either (we sell projects, not products), I'm just trying to speak the truth.  Contact me if you want a fair analysis of your commercial/industrial lighting upgrade (not that people on here dont already know).  Oh yea, it also depends on utility rates and utility rebates....

if yr looking for an excellent LED site - http://www.ledcanada.com/ is the best imho

Folks-

This epitomizes the need for education for end users - I did an investigation  of this site- 

Please save your money folks- low Lumens per watt relative to whats now the current expected output-

The very same components ( only cheaper) are use in a great deal of Chinese products- they are very

likely to use iffy capacitors- Most used in these DC powered luminiares thermal management would

indicate a high probabilty of failure long before 25,000 hrs of use - maybe 12000 hrs out of the electrolytical

capacititors- some other thoughts, the features that these are lacking include the fact that they are not

addressable, the don't have on board spectral sensors to detect the color shift that most likely WILL happen.

Also you can't count on the mfg being their next year for any claims against faulty products.

The distributor talking about their lamps using Cree products is not in itself a guarantee  of product

quality.

LED lighting products like this are what I deride and dismiss on merit  - the LM -79s information would

back up my contention - stuff like this get a C-  - are products like this what you REALLY want-

For any would be buyers please do your due diligence settling for products is like these that Johnny

recommends - don't settle for 2010 model year stuff with 2012 model year skins .

LED light fixtures are being installed at several places today, including homes, offices and commercial buildings. The main reason behind this success being its energy efficiency and ability to add an aesthetic appeal to the area they are being used. Although the LED industry has taken up a big share of market but it still has a long way to go and there is a need to educate people more about its benefits.For more information on LED lights you can visit this site:

http://www.atelectricalsuppliers.com/product-category/leds/

Please make certain your car has a factory standard LED tail lamp- this is really important!

Tom,  the LED lightbulb replacements for the automobiles have progressed significantly also.  They are pretty much plug and play.  Except for the really really old 6V cars...  There are options now for CAN and non-CAN bulbs.

CAN bulbs are designed for use with the car automation network such that a failed light can be detected.  So it is important to choose the correct bulb - but both options are available.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/

Still pricey though.  There have been times where it is now easier to just buy the more expensive LED lightbulb and not chase around trying to find some of the older bulbs used in cars ten or fifteen years ago.

LED lights make the car look nicer and cleaner than traditional filament bulbs.

Especially the LED headlight, has stronger output, less glare and last longer

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Mornin Brett. 90 to 85, yes a slight variance there.  Same ASTM test, different scientists,…"
16 hours ago
Bret Curry replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Great information Hal. It appears the thermal emissivity in your test was .85 rather than .90. Are…"
17 hours ago
Juan Roca commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting - Garage Door opener interference
"Hi,There is a real problem with remote controls and LED lights. However, there is a solution in the…"
yesterday
Profile IconJuan Roca and Elizabeth Coe joined Home Energy Pros
yesterday
Casey Gesell posted videos
yesterday
Gerald Shechter posted videos
yesterday
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion An example of what an RCC can do with no R- insulation in the walls.
"Bret,  here are the 2 reports I referred…"
yesterday
Craig Foley shared George Kopf's discussion on Twitter
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service