I'm glad to see LED fixtures finally becoming mainstream in the local big box stores. Purpose built fixtures make more sense than trying to make LED's look and work like A19 lamps. Here's an example of the fixture I saw at the local Home Depot today:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Versi-Lite-7-in-White-...

I'll post more photos/findings once I get it hooked up.

Tags: Fixture, LED, Light

Views: 1014

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too had the offset issue, the 2nd screw went direct into the ceiling joist. Oddly the smaller boxes seem more common than the larger ones in ceiling use.

There are 50 point LED's (possibly cree's devices) on the board.  The large black chip is most likely the a chip whose function is sensing dimming on the incoming power signal and translating that to the equivalent on/off duty cycle for the LED's.  Just a couple of small surface mount chip caps.. so no electrolytics to fail.  But heat is a silent killer for most IC's... if the fixture is hot - U1 is gets my second vote for the most failures.  First goes to the movistor.  The LED's are likely to suffer a "fading" effect and slowly become less effective. Four or five years from now you might notice a difference if you compare it against an identical fixture.  But then anyone expect a CFL last five years - with lots of use, dimming, and turning on/off....

At $30 I expect it to last, hopefully they stand behind their warranty for 5yrs if it doesn't. If it fails after 5yrs LED tech will be fully mature by then and newer better fixtures will be out. Fixtures designed for LED from the start have a lumen/watt advantage since they can take advantage of the native directional properties of LED. Fixtures also have more thermal management options compared to A19 retrofit laps, and as you said heat is the enemy of the electronics/driver circuit.

IMHO the best is yet to come for LED fixtures, I'm sure they are working on things we haven't even though of. Fixtures is what will revolutionize the LED lighting industry, not A19 replacements...

Generally based upon the needed requirements, The mode of selection will be depended. In these aspects, We must consider the high quality of LED strips which will help us to give more brightness while compared to the normal one.

reflector design

RSS

Featured Forum Discussions

Lighting replacement - 300 watt LED flood light

Started by Mary Sinkler in General Forum. Last reply by Dennis Heidner 4 hours ago. 2 Replies

Glass Block Windows

Started by Ken Kalke in Best Practices. Last reply by Sean Lintow Sr on Saturday. 1 Reply

What's the Most Profitable HVAC Job for Your Company?

Started by Wayne Melancon in HVAC. Last reply by Ken Kalke on Friday. 1 Reply

EZ Green Home is Hiring!

Started by Chloe Chapman in General Forum Jan 5. 0 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Latest Activity

Dennis Heidner replied to Mary Sinkler's discussion Lighting replacement - 300 watt LED flood light
"Have you looked how much light you need in the backyard and where you need the light?  Often a…"
4 hours ago
Nate Adams liked tedkidd's discussion Home Performance is Failing - let's turn that around?
9 hours ago
Nate Adams replied to tedkidd's discussion Home Performance is Failing - let's turn that around?
"Ira, you're not alone. Here in Cleveland the gas company uses their own auditors, it killed…"
9 hours ago
Nate Adams replied to tedkidd's discussion Home Performance is Failing - let's turn that around?
"Website is finally up, albeit still imperfect. You can check out the very detailed case studies.…"
9 hours ago
Paul Mausteller liked Bruce Fillmore's photo
9 hours ago
tedkidd replied to tedkidd's discussion Home Performance is Failing - let's turn that around?
"Thank you Ira! We need more stories like yours to hold the evidence of harm to the faces of…"
10 hours ago
Profile IconPaul Mausteller, Mark Freeman and Bruce Fillmore joined Home Energy Pros
10 hours ago
Ira Eisenstein replied to tedkidd's discussion Home Performance is Failing - let's turn that around?
"I have been a home inspector since 2003 and evolved into energy related issues and became a home…"
13 hours ago

Home Energy Pros

Welcome to Home Energy Pros – the unique digital community by and for those who work in the home energy performance arena.

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (supported by the U.S. Department of Energy) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.  Home Energy Pros is sponsored by the Better Buildings Residential Network. Please honor our Guidelines

© 2017   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service