Is anyone game for putting together a rebuttal to this article regarding "Green Homes being Unhealthy?"

This article came out on June 8 and deserves a response from DOE and some Home Energy Pros!

Green Buildings Hazardous to Health? Report Cites Risks of Weatherization

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/08/green-buildings-hazardou...

This is the kind of fodder that gets people to debunk home energy efficiency improvements.  It reminds me of the articles a few years ago bashing the Energy Star program because there may have been some errors in calculating efficiency...

Thoughts?  What are some good points to make in a rebuttal?  I'm thinking ERVs as part of any major changes to the envelope.

Powell

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually from the little they stated, they are right on most points - the only item one could pic on is the word untested, as many of these items have been tested & we know what works, what doesn't, and what can cause issues.  

The problem falls on those that don't fully understand all the issues and  slap insulation in walls with bulk water issues, tighten up the house without ventilating right, etc...

3 words - consider the source- !!

For those of you who are ripping on Fox for the article...

If you would look a little closer and do your due diligence, you would find that this an AP story, not a Fox story. Fox is only relaying the message put out by AP on a study done by someone else (Institute of Medicine).

In other words, Fox is only the messenger in this case and should be treated as such.

John,

I've looked closer and cannot find evidence that anything other than the photo accompanying Fox's article is AP.  Please provide the link to the AP story that you (seem to have) found.

Here's a link to a description of the report at the site of one of its sources.

Perhaps too eager to mock green, Fox gave the story an unfortunate slant by putting ASHRAE & BPI standards outside the frame.  I agree with Sean.

You can definitely cause more problems than you solve by implementing poorly planned changes to seal your envelope but it's just frustrating to know that some people will read a report like this and use it as an excuse not to act at all.

I think a response from DOE on how following established standards and guidelines can prevent any negative impacts from an energy efficiency upgrade is warranted here.  Maybe a comment on the importance of getting a certified professional to perform energy efficiency upgrades to avoid such problems.

Why single out "Green" construction?  As an Energy Star verifier, I look at many new homes, both in and out of the program.  Without verification it is common to see attic baffles installed incorrectly and insulation missing in critical spaces for example, inviting not only poor performance but Ice damming in the winter, roof damage and mold.  This is just one example.  This isn't a "green" problem.

In existing homes, it's more likely that the ductwork is defective in some way than not.  It's not breaking news to find a supply duct disconnected causing the house pressure to go negative which sucks fumes in from the garage and under the house.

Or how many homes are built with no return air relief from the bedrooms which causes the core of the home to go negative just by closing the bedroom doors?  This isn't a "Green" problem.  At least we in the green industry are aware that these are issues and know how to correct them.

Powell,

Why haven't you nominated yourself instead of suggesting that someone should do something?

DOE might not be the best messenger to a segment of the population that believes DOE should be eliminated so that the government can be smaller.

If you draft a rebuttal, some of us would probably be happy to help you polish it and many of us might sign on.

Joe Romm weighed in on this today.

Every homeowner should carefully research the contractor or firm as well as the measures that will be implemented in her/his home. Most of my best work has been removing and repairing crap work installed by other contractors. The only thing missing in Fox's consumer protection/public health piece is "hire a certified building performance professional."

Fox's sloppy journalism aside, educating the public is the job of the building science community.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Energy Center University posted an event

Better Buildings: Better Business Conferences at Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel & Conference Center and Kalahari Resort and Convention Center

February 26, 2015 to March 13, 2015
Better Buildings: Better Business ConferencesFebruary 26−27, 2015 │ Rosemont, ILMarch 11−13, 2015 │…See More
7 hours ago
Kris Grube added a discussion to the group Job Board
Thumbnail

Good Energy Retrofit, Portland, Or. Hiring Home Performance Salesperson.

Good Energy Retrofit is a small and focused, woman owned and operated, specialty residential…See More
11 hours ago
Benjamin Gromicko posted events
12 hours ago
Nate Adams joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

Hall of Shame

In this group, members share an array of images from the field, showing the kinds of issues…See More
13 hours ago
tedkidd commented on Diane Chojnowski's group Hall of Shame
"Give this thread a bump - here's my "bad" album and some of the…"
13 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus commented on Adam Swain's blog post Top Worst Crawl Space Insulation Ideas
"6) Radiant barrier- under the gravel is just a barrier but with holes each square inch its not a…"
13 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Distribution Efficiency and heating safety factor in TREAT in the group TREAT Software
"It is very common to find equipment grossly oversized. I mean 1.5 - 2x Manual J and 2-3x the size…"
14 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Luis Hernandez's discussion Basic Heat loss information in the group TREAT Software
"Luis,  Click "selected reports, energy savings and use, design heating and cooling…"
14 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service