Are there suggestions out there as to the best way to insulate newly installed speakers!  I have been working to improve the  tightness of my 22 year old home but after that big effort, I installed 10 speakers in 5 rooms.  This, as one might suspect, has resulted in several holes leading from unconditioned spaces to conditioned spaces. Some folks say just drape insulation over the new speakers while other say build a box to protect the innards of the speakers from fiber glass, dust, etc. The latter is supposed to enhance the quality of the music emanating from the speakers but there are many opinions out there!

Views: 8245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Build a box, air seal & mound insulation over them equivalent to what's around them

As for acoustics - depends on speakers  - base, etc... as these are probably regular 3 to 5 ways it probably wont help much but you might want to check w/ manufacturer for suggestions- as for long life & keeping crap out - box em

Thanks, Sean!  I have been looking for "ready made" boxes w/o much luck, mostly 'cause I wanted to see how they look and how they were constructed so I might have a template to follow.  I have contacted my 3 manufacturers, some who say use a box and others make no mention of a need for a box.  What do you think about a Styrofoam box with 1.5 to 2 " thick walls, then covered with insulation?

I would dare to say it doesn't matter what the box is made of - drywall or foam are easiest. I say air seal that box, insulate over it and call it good.

Just wanted to thank all of you who responded to my inquiry and I am looking for Styrofoam so I can start my box construction.  Some of my speaker instructions state a cubic foot of volume is required to maximize sound output while others don't seem to even address this issue? Is htis a case of what is good for the goose is good for the gander?.  All will get boxes over time, I guess, and then I shall cover them with insulation!

Cheers.

John

have you heard of TenMat covers?  They are designed for recessed lights, but would work for speakers.  they are not overly expensive and are very easy to install.  http://www.tenmat-us.com/index.html 

Thanks, Pat, for your time and your response.  I will visit that site and see what they have to offer! Cheers.

John

Pat, John again. Have you used this product for in-wall speakers and if so, how did you affix them to a vertical wall?

I only use then in attics. Framing the cavity is most effective for walls.

Thanks for your response, Pat.  Do you feel it is necessary for me to frame wall-mounted speakers when the backsides are open to the attic?  I am leaning toward just foam spraying the covers to the walls?     

We use plural component foam (2 part foam), not the foam from an aerosol can (single component foam) so the foam sets up fairly quickly and it binds to the TenMat covers very well. I could set a cover over a speaker on a vertical surface and spray it to support it with this system as long as I can access the speaker from an attic or similar surface. This will not work with single component foam, and would not work with 'froth packs' in situations where ambient or surface temperature is below 60. I can do it at temperatures as low as 30 with a foam rig.

For the typical 2-way (meaning 2 speakers, tweeter and woofer) in-wall rectangular speakers that are designed to fit in between a 2x4  16"oc wall cavity, boxing in an enclosure will generally improve the bass response. Simply place 2 pieces of wood between the studs top & bottom of speakers  and seal with caulk. Depending on the drywall, you may want to add additional screws to minimize any wall vibration caused by the woofer For round in-wall which are typically used in ceilings (the tweeter is mounted inside the woofer cone)you need to box them in both for acoustics and preventing insulation. Between floors with no access may prevent you from making an enclosure. Keep in mind electrical low voltage codes do require you use speaker wire rated for in-wall and I would recommend 14 gauge if running any distance or 16 gauge for short distances. Speakers are polarized so make sure the wire is marked

Jose, Thank you for your helpful response.  It was very comprehensive, the kind of help I am needing. BTW, if one is to reverse the polarity of the speaker wire, what kind of effect is one likely to notice? Scratchy, muddy sound, ???

Cheers.

John

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Dennis Heidner commented on Dale Stephens's blog post LED Lighting 24-month update 18,240 hours & counting
"Dale, good write up. For the landscaping bulbs,  if they had been T3 12V wedge bulbs,  I…"
10 hours ago
Brett Little commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

The Future of Housing - And How Airtightness Can Help

"It's very true! So many people and contractors have tons of insulated attics but no air seal…"
11 hours ago
Chris Leach replied to Richard Beyer's discussion "The Dangers of Using Spray Foam Insulation"
"The problems will surface soon enough . Why don't we take a second look at this over rated…"
12 hours ago
Don Fitchett commented on Tom White's video
14 hours ago
Profile IconJean-Paul, Bryan and Erica Sullivan joined Home Energy Pros
17 hours ago
tedkidd replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion How does Cycles Per Hour affect real world AFUE?
"Want to spot a simpleton? It's a guy who thinks EE and comfort are disconnected.  Want…"
17 hours ago
tedkidd commented on Tom White's blog post Clean Energy Works Oregon: Total Home Performance
"Nice post Tom! I really like how he puts that. Leveraging interests so they can optimize…"
17 hours ago
Kent Mitchell commented on Tom White's blog post Clean Energy Works Oregon: Total Home Performance
"As a contractor in the region - we frequently wonder how/why you can be a non-profit?  Oregon…"
18 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service