Imagine a facility that has lighting as intense as that found in an operating room (500-times more than needed for reading), 6-times the air-change rate of a biotech laboratory and 60-times that of a home, and the electric power intensity of a datacenter?

About $5 billion is expended each year across the U.S. to produce indoor Cannabis, resulting in greenhouse-gas emissions equivalent to 3 million average cars.  Some cultivation is done legally under medical Cannabis statutes in 17 states, while in other cases it is done illicitly.

Jammed full of 1000-watt HPS lamps, super-duper ducted luminaire fans (with lots of pressure drop), air conditioning, dehumidification, heaters, CO2 generators, and more …. a “typical” (whatever that is) grow house can use as much electricity as 20-30 average homes.

When all is said and done, the final product is accountable for 3000-times its weight in CO2. 

Have you run into these facilities – or seen telltale signs from outside?  The winter icicles must be three-feet in diameter!

Download the full report here.

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As someone who is a strong advocate of LEDs - I can tell you that the transition to SSL is not going

unnoticed among market segments - especially this one- As I understand it the dramatic growth in the sales of

Red / Blue LED  lights for efficient lighting is really resonating in this niche.Horticulture in general will see the benefits.

Why pay to light anything- all inclusive, the way it was done 20 years ago - As I gather the growers know a small foot

print equals more privacy. Irrespective of what your growing, most forum members are for more efficiency ( kWhs) and

those of us who value privacy( remember that?)should consider these  as positives. Both those- privacy and energy efficiency are good things.

It figures cops/ dea types won't like it. Whether its in the monitored  use of electrical consumption or thru I/R

imaging the telltale signs will go away- bad news for the for- profit prisons that cost the taxpayer millions BUT its

good news relative to the environmental component!

• Add Videos

Latest Activity

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service