I just published this detailed post on solar pv vs. wind turbines for installations of the same cost:

http://homeenergypros.lbl.gov/profiles/blogs/residential-solar-pv-vs

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that except for a few spots in the U.S. (mostly in AK, HI, or on top of mountains) residential wind will always lose to solar PV assuming optimal locations for both (i.e. no shading on solar panels, no obstructions blocking wind) and the same capital outlay at the onset.  

I'm going to work on another blog post highlighting this fact, because it is rarely covered by most news media who don't even know the difference between a kW and a kWh, let alone know how to do the analysis themselves.  

What I'm looking for is someone who can tell me I am missing something in the analysis?  Any thoughts?

Tags: comparison, solar, vs., wind

Views: 101

Replies to This Discussion

@Chris - I'm not sure it's entirely fair to simply "halve" the cost of a PV system, particularly one that small, simply based on nameplate capacity. You still need to install all of the BOS components, etc.

@Leo - I sincerely doubt that articulation alone can double PV production, especially that far north. Articulating optimization tends to be more effective at lower lattitudes. I suspect that a PV system in MN gains a significant percentage of production efficiency simply because it is COLD there. Systems loose a lot when the heat increases.

Great to see this discussion!

I agree Mark. My wild guess on doubling PV output has no place in a serious discussion like this. That's how misinformation gets its start.

Remember the PV system was tracking the sun daily and seasonally which for residential roof top installations would be difficult if not impractical. It appears that PV comes out better with tracking unless the residence has an above average wind site i.e. higher ground in west or southwest Minnesota.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconJeremy Hess and Brian Coverstone joined Home Energy Pros
2 hours ago
Eric Johnson posted a blog post

Reducing Energy Cost for Kayak

Fishing kayak becomes popular and one of the most attractive outdoor sport nowadays. There are many…See More
6 hours ago
Profile IconCharlie Ouellette, Karin Haerter and Juan joined Home Energy Pros
yesterday
Juan added a discussion to the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
Thumbnail

Need Energy conservatory Blower door 3 + DG-700

Hello thanks for taking the time to read this post. I am currently looking for a blower door…See More
yesterday
Juan joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
yesterday
Caoimhin P Connell replied to Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
"Good morning, Mr. Cullen – As I mentioned in another post – for the purposes under…"
yesterday
tedkidd replied to Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
"If putting the house under positive pressure using fresh air helps mitigate not just radon, but…"
yesterday
Rich Manning replied to Rodney Fox's discussion Radon: Truth vs. Myth
"Tell them the truth as you know it, and back it up with the facts!!"
yesterday

© 2016   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service