Greetings to my fellow home energy professionals...

I have been thinking about ways to work on one's garage to make it energy efficient and ways to use the space for more than just resting a car and storage items.

Garage Doors for instance qualify for Home Owner Tax Credits - Ref: http://www.run-local-garage-door.com/energy-tax-credits/

So there could be more ways to add to these tax credits and increase energy efficiency. Perhaps, installing a localized solar device on garage roof or energy efficient (biological) lightning inside the garage

Would you like to share your thoughts on ways to make a garage more useful in decreasing one's energy footprint.

Tags: efficiency, energy, home

Views: 1232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with venting the garage. Just not with a solar powered attic fan.

Hal, I would be careful with your energy saving performance claims of radiant barrier paint as Iam sure you know all too well. The only problem I have with above is "problem solved", not really a performance claim but highly questionable considering some of the surfaces in the pics are getting very little direct sunlight at all.

Are you saying that your coating applied to the door of an overheated garage will solve its overheating issues?

Hi again Brian.  I know exactly what you are saying.  Unfortunately for our industry, there has been a lot of bad products for many years that do not live up to their claims.  That has given our industy a huge black eye, lot of snake oils out there.

Very cloudy day when the military base pictures were taken.  They got 2" of rain that weekend, ergo the plastic protecting our coating. 

As an example; the doors in the bottom picture at the beer plant in Vegas.  The doors would reach a temp of well over 200 degrees.  Applied our coating and it then had a surface temp of 112 degrees on a 108 degree day.  Very heavy gauge metal doors there.

Our coating brings the ouside srface temp down to within 5 degrees of whatever the ambient air temperature is at the time.  There are also many cases on our website to demonstrate how much heat it will retain when it is colder outside than it is inside the structure.

I am adding a statement from a software engineer that got some of our coating and did several applications at his home.  One of those was to the inside of his garage door to keep out heat.

Attachments:

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Paul DelVaglio posted a photo
18 minutes ago
reflintorm replied to Jamie Kaye's discussion Flickering LED lights
"I think, Better to replace the dimmer switch if it is not recovered then once go through the…"
4 hours ago
Kurt Shafer replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Glen,  You are the first person who has ever told me they prefer lower CFM. What you left out…"
14 hours ago
Glen Gallo replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Tamarack has lower CFM than typical fans and has a insulated lid that automatically closes when fan…"
14 hours ago
Tom Conlon's discussion was featured

Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?

I just searched this forum for "Whole House Fan", but I didn't find much about them (except …See More
16 hours ago
Tom White shared Brandon Walton's blog post on Twitter
16 hours ago
Brandon Walton's blog post was featured

12 Things Every Home Performance Contractor Should Have on Their Work Truck

Every home is unique and differs from the last. It would be a perfect world (from a project…See More
16 hours ago
Griffin Hagle replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
17 hours ago
Griffin Hagle replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Kurt, Whoops, looks like I got my links mixed up. Thanks for pointing that out. Here's the…"
17 hours ago
Kurt Shafer replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"Glen,  I went to Homepower.com and did a search for whole house fan. Could not find that…"
18 hours ago
Glen Gallo replied to Tom Conlon's discussion Whole House Fans - Love 'Em or Not?
"I no longer have my subscription to the Home Power Magazine but these figures were pulled from the…"
18 hours ago
"Glen,  I read your blog with some interest.  You say  " Per the Home…"
18 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service