For those of you who are conducting residential energy assessments; are you recommending "on demand"  hot water re-circ. systems?  I'm finding that many of my customers waste a ton of water while they wait for the hot water to arrive. This is the case even with an insulated pipe because the water is simply wasted down the drain where as a properly configured re-circ system will return the water in the pipes to the water heater.  I recently became aware of a re-circ. system called Switch2o at www.switch2o.com that is enabled when the light switch in the room is thrown. It claims to waste only a cup of water and produces water saving far in excess of dual flush toilets. Thoughts?

Views: 509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With PEX/manifold systems that are very popular these days, I don't see how the system would even work.

depends on the setup - with a homerun to each sink, tub, etc... you would have to install a pump at each location you want

With a manifold to manifold config (each bath is on a smaller manifold right there at the bath) or a homerun feeding a single bath via branches one pump will recirc the water for the whole bath

One pump. Activated by the light switch from each station.  Automatically shuts off when hot loop is recharged.  Puts cooled down water back into the water heater.

Definitely requires a tank, a lot of people are moving to tankless.   Also requires mechanical plumbing/sensors and a dedicated switch at each station.  Might be a complicated and touch, very niche, thing to sell.

Good luck.   

Navien has a fantastic condensing 98% efficient unit with a buffer tank AND pump, with internal recirc that can be programmed for when most likely needed AND can be connected to an external recirc loop.  That's the setup I'd recommend.  

I don't know much about those Navien units, but the last one I was around (worked in the house for a week) seemed to be whirring and clicking and cycling and running almost constantly, with no one home. Obviously there are a lot of variables, but this one was definitely using power and gas all day, and the owner is aware that it's a problem. For better or worse they haven't asked me to do anything about it. I had almost the same experience in another home... no one there, water heater chugging away.

They have very specific instructions, that it seems many installers are incapable of comprehending, which lead to problems. These are not plug and play devices.

I've seen too little gas volume, water volume, intake and exhaust issues, super hot settings, buffer turned off, buffer on 24/7, etc...

You can't have a high school biology student perform brain surgery, and that sometimes what you get when these go in. One test; ask the installer how many installed. Ask if he has the area reps number programmed into his phone. Then if he has a dual port manometer. If no, get a different installer.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Walter Ahlgrim replied to James White's discussion What happened to Home Energy Pro's website?
"Try downloading Google Chrome web browser https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/ I had similar…"
6 hours ago
Stacy Hunt posted an event

Building America Webinar: Multifamily Ventilation Strategies and Compartmentalization Requirements at Virtual

September 24, 2014 from 3pm to 4:30pm
The Building America Program is hosting a no-cost, webinar-based training on Multifamily…See More
8 hours ago
Ben Jacobs replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"This is info I give to clients that I serve. People who live in homes that are not energy efficient…"
10 hours ago
Brennan Less replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"Thanks Bud. I just feel the need to point out any such issues, because we as a field need to be…"
12 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"Hi Brennan, "weak and irrational" is not at all what I was trying to communicate. …"
13 hours ago
Christopher Talarico replied to Christopher Talarico's discussion Heating with Tankless Water Heater & Hydronic Air Handler vs. Gas Furnace
"Barbara, thanks for the info - this is some of the research I was interested in seeing. That report…"
13 hours ago
Brennan Less replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"I would love to see such matters discussed on this forum without broadly characterizing women as…"
14 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus commented on Christopher Morin's blog post Top 5 Changes to ACCA Manual S
"I run loads each day.  BUT my completion does not,    I see so much over sizing…"
14 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service