This seems to be a fairly new thing, a site for showcasing green building/s and projects, designated by address on the map: Honest Buildings. Anybody out there in home performance land giving it a whirl?

Here's an article about it at Forbes, from about a month ago.

Tags: marketing, social networking

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Riggs believes that increased knowledge about existing energy efficiency projects will spur increased demand for future projects.

'"Today, there is not enough demand for retrofitting existing buildings for energy efficiency,” said Riggs. “If you can create a way through transparency to showcase that an energy or lighting retrofit is a really positive thing for your company or building and you can get credit for that using our platform, then you can build demand."

- from the Forbes article Paul mentioned

Might Riggs' notion be true for the residential sector, as well?

David, I posted a similar inquiry over at the RESNET-BPI group on LinkedIn, and got a single skeptical reply. But I'm corresponding a little with a guy at Honest Buildings to see what I can learn about their interest in residential. I'd love to see something like this take off, myself.

Hero gentlemen.

I have pondered such questions about spurring demand through greater transparency of the numbers of folks going green with their homes. The result: It can't hurt to try. We may gain more, though, from giving it that social media angle. I know some folks in Boston that launched web-based platforms for spurring demand for greener lifestyles. They were all-encompassing, versus something focused on home energy usage.

Patrick

"I know some folks in Boston that launched web-based platforms for spurring demand for greener lifestyles. They were all-encompassing, versus something focused on home energy usage"

Patrick, who was that?

David,

One was a Cambridge-based entrepreneur by the name of Jason Karas (Carbon Rally), and the other a Mom turned enviro superstar by the name of Susan Hunt Stevens (Practically Green).

Patrick

Thanks.  I found them on Facebook and sent each a note.

Interesting, in this site's case, that it doesn't seem to present itself explicitly in 'green' terms, and that by being about buildings of all types, it addresses potentially a huge cross-section of life without being about lifestyle. Significant question, though, to my mind, whether the kind of residential properties most of us go home to will see the same kind of attention there that big &/or expensive properties see.

I believe that consumer access to smart metering data (gas, electric, etc.), combined with environmental monitoring, can give consumers the same desire to embrace energy efficiency that speedometers and fuel gauges have given them in their cars.  Upon installation we get to see how and when we consume, then we can formulate effective measures that are specific to that user.  This will encourage investment in efficiency, in affordable steps, for that particular building.  The cost of monitoring has reached an affordable level and we need to encourage access to the data that is available with new smart metering technologies.  Home energy monitoring is easy to included in new construction and simple wireless solutions are available for existing buildings.  Who doesn't know how many miles per gallon they get, when gas is $4.50 a gallon?

Finding the right color of green can be half of the battle.

I've got a phone conversation with a Director of Customer Development at Honest Buildings on calendar for tomorrow. Anybody have questions they'd like me to ask? If so, post below.

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Michael Dunseith posted photos
5 hours ago
Hal Skinner replied to Hal Skinner's discussion How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?
"II just remembered seeing a report by a federal adency, many years ago, that basically said …"
8 hours ago
Don Fitchett commented on Tom White's video
Thumbnail

Alliant Energy's PowerHouse TV: Sealing Leaky Ductwork

"Very educational. thanks for sharing Tom."
11 hours ago
Hal Skinner posted a discussion

How much heat energy is lost through the floor of a house?

I am asking this as I do not recall anyone speaking of any study to this end.  Many comments about…See More
11 hours ago

Mike Braun just added their location.
(via Member Map)

12 hours ago
Bud Poll replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"From my work in NY City many years ago, the critters I saw would never have fit through a quarter…"
15 hours ago
Barbara Smith replied to Bud Poll's discussion Another benefit from air sealing
"Eliminating quarter sized holes can impede rats from entering a building, in areas where rats tend…"
16 hours ago
Casey Murphy is now a member of Home Energy Pros
17 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service