Does anyone know of any good homeowner education videos about building performance or house as a system? Energy Star had Steve Thomas do one a few years ago but it has since been embargoed.

It seems to me without proper consumer education about building science, the biggest mouths with the biggest ad budgets will continue to win, pushing poor investments like radiant barriers, windows, etc. For example, most homeowners have no idea why airsealing is importantt, and think it is just a contractor 'extra'. 

Thanks

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree there is not much out there.  We are working on one of our own...Air-sealing, What it is and why it's important.  I'll post it here when its done.

www.degnandesignbuilders.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/degnandesign?feature=mhee

What a great idea!

Maybe the DOE or some organization could sponsor it like Home Energy Pros or Efficiency First.

It would streamline the audit process if a Homeowner could watch a video before or during the audit.

We just created a short animated video to educate homeowners about "energy drips" - http://youtu.be/VC3C_8eQgeE - we talk a little about air sealing, phantom load, CFLs, etc. 

Great video! Thanks for doing it.  Crisp, clear and to the point.

Is there a 30 second TV commercial version in your future?

Good idea!  We hadn't discussed going "mainstream media" with it, but I'll certainly mention that.  Please feel free to share, re-post, etc!
Nice!

Neely, congrads on an excellent video. I will tweet @homeenergymag.

Cara, please let me know when you've done the one on air sealing. Tomorrow, I will try and go on your youtube channel.

It would be such a great idea if public educational videos were posted on a universal site and were available to contractors. I do remember that there have been a number of videos done explaining what an audit is and does.

Thanks John for bringing this up

Thanks, Carol!  The Energy Challenge twitter is @mnenchallenge if you'd like to include it.
I tweeted right away, so to late, but please keep me updated with any other videos

RSS

Home Energy Pros

Home Energy Pros was founded by the developers of Home Energy Saver Pro (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy,) and brought to you in partnership with Home Energy magazine.

Latest Activity

Shashank Kirloskar posted a blog post

Important Facts about Solar Energy

“I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait…See More
yesterday
reflintorm replied to Dennis McCarthy's discussion Solid state lighting - saves lives- and it improves life .
"In my observation, In most of the lightning appliances led bulbs are used because of their…"
yesterday
Chad Mcaulife posted photos
yesterday
Bob Blanchette commented on Jeremy Begley's blog post The Home Envelope : Does it Really Matter in a Heat Loss Calculation
"Infiltration makes a HUGE difference. Look at the heat loads on a windy day vs. a calm one. On a…"
yesterday
Bob Blanchette commented on Everblue's blog post Poor HVAC Installation Leads to Increased Energy Use
"That explains a LOT of why HVAC system continue to be sized by the same "rule of thumb"…"
yesterday
Profile IconChristian Asdal and Shashank Kirloskar joined Home Energy Pros
yesterday
Don Fitchett shared their video on Digg
yesterday
Don Fitchett shared their video on StumbleUpon
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service